v drop got me fukt up

Participant count
  • Participant list
are you taking a reading off the cig lighter, id suggest hooking the meter up to the battery in the rear and seeing what your drop is..

what amperage alt is it as well?

dude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWM9X1_qeE4

That's with a 75ah agm under the hood and a kinetic hc2000 102ah in the back. Stock alt yeah but should this be happening? I'm only running a brx1100... so about 1Kw... wtf? I drove around and it actually went down to 13 flat....
Depending what your alt size is it's perfectly normal. I think you might be mistaken about the purpose of the batteries. They are there to provide a stable place to draw current from when your alt can't produce enough power. Your alt generates power at 14v, whereas your batteries hold a charge around 12.8v. If you have a small alt, the voltage will naturally drop when playing. Especially if it's hot out, it will have a hard time generating enough power. My old suv had a 90A alt (which is small for an suv) and when it was hot out in the summer (85-90F) it would have a hard time holding 14v. Usually it sat around 13.6v.

are you taking a reading off the cig lighter, id suggest hooking the meter up to the battery in the rear and seeing what your drop is..what amperage alt is it as well?
I have it wired to my amp I just haven't mounted it yet so it looks like its hooked to the cig lighter in the vid.

And ok kangaroux. So will a 320a alt keep it up?

I have it wired to my amp I just haven't mounted it yet so it looks like its hooked to the cig lighter in the vid.
from a reputable brand that would be very sufficient

I get dimming on my whopping 590ish rms system... but its not a whole lot that im worried about.

Yeah definitely...though highly unnecessary unless you plan on doing a big upgrade.

Assuming you're at alt voltage (14.4), 1000w / 12.8v = 70A. Assuming your vehicle draws 100A of current (with A/C, headlights) that means that you're only drawing roughly 170A of current. In a perfect world, a 320A alt would allow you to run a little over 3,000w. If you think you'll upgrade to that much at some point, then go for it but I still think it's not needed considering you have 2 batts. Dropping down into the high 12's is not as bad as you think it is.

Yeah but do you think I should get a second rear battery or keep saving for the alt?
Go for the alt. I have a friend running 3k with just an extra rear battery in the back and his voltage stays in the high 12's. Since you already have one it wouldn't be necessary.

I want my v to stay in the 14s so I'm gonna just keep adding batteries after I get the alt until that happens. But yeah I'll get the alt first thanks guys.

I want my v to stay in the 14s so I'm gonna just keep adding batteries after I get the alt until that happens. But yeah I'll get the alt first thanks guys.
Like I said before, I don't think you understand the purpose of the batts. In electronics, when you have multiple power sources, the one with the highest voltage will be drawn from first. Since your alt puts out 14v vs. 12.8v on the batts, it will pull from the alt. Adding more batteries won't hold your voltage at 14v, since your amps will always pull from the alternator first. The only thing adding more batteries will do is provide more stable voltage when the alt can no longer keep up (aka youre drawing more power than it can put out)

EDIT: I also should mention that even if your amp is 3,000w, that's not how much you're going to be getting. Speakers don't have a fixed resistance (hence why you hear the word impedance). Your box will change this resistance and cause it to rise. Your 1 ohm sub might rise up to 2 or 3 ohms, and you won't be drawing 3,000w. 320A honestly would be enough for a 5k amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.