using velcro

Dangerous is right. Even a simple fender bender could turn nasty with a speaker box, or parts of one, flying around your passenger compartment. Death by flying speaker box is not all that uncommon a death these days.

Not to mention, some of the function of your subwoofer system is to transfer low frequency material to the vehicle's chassis (to be felt). Velcro not only will not allow a good solid connection between the box and the chassis, even worse it will tend to isolate the two.

In short, using velcro will be dangerous, and diminish the performance of your system (a bit). Just bolt the **** thing down.

Dangerous is right. Even a simple fender bender could turn nasty with a speaker box, or parts of one, flying around your passenger compartment. Death by flying speaker box is not all that uncommon a death these days.
Not to mention, some of the function of your subwoofer system is to transfer low frequency material to the vehicle's chassis (to be felt). Velcro not only will not allow a good solid connection between the box and the chassis, even worse it will tend to isolate the two.

In short, using velcro will be dangerous, and diminish the performance of your system (a bit). Just bolt the **** thing down.
I agree with this, with the only exception being a trunk vehicle with solid rear seat. But I would still bolt it down with at least l brackets or something.

I agree with this, with the only exception being a trunk vehicle with solid rear seat. But I would still bolt it down with at least l brackets or something.
True, but even in a trunk vehicle, you dont want your speaker box slamming around due to a simple fender bender. Obviously open-air SUV's and x-cabs are the most dangerous for this, but precautions should be taken no matter what the vehicle. Velcro is not safe. Its a terrible idea, to be perfectly frank.

it wont be danerous. my car is a 2 door, so noone ever rides in the back seat and the back seat is held in place with some beefy ass metals latches. Also were i am mounted the sub box, the gas tank is right underneath. I didn't want to take any chances with mechanical fasteners.

unless its a trunk, i would highly highly reccomend using at least L-Brackets with through-bolts (so its easy to remove). I mean velcro does hold its own, but it isnt going to stop it from hurtling through the back of your skull when you rearend someone.

The one time i did use velcro was to strap down a kinetik2400 under a rear seat. Oh, it was surrounded by steel bars with how the seat mounted, but i didnt want it sliding around the few inches of space it did have.

it wont be danerous. my car is a 2 door, so noone ever rides in the back seat and the back seat is held in place with some beefy ass metals latches. Also were i am mounted the sub box, the gas tank is right underneath. I didn't want to take any chances with mechanical fasteners.
Cheap out if you want, all we can do is inform you. I have to wonder though, why you made this thread if you had already decided to use velcro anyway. Ghetto.
And yes, I can understand why working in close proximity to the gas tank would frighten you. I mean, its not like you could have worked something out. Its best to just avoid it altogether.

Death by flying speaker box is not all that uncommon a death these days.
Actually, the worst offenders are the 6X9's either laying on the rear shelf open or in a small box ... neither of which are strapped down.

my gf's sub and enclosure is secured to the carpet in the trunk with velcro. i used two horizontal strips of the 2in wide stuff and it holds it very well. she actually got rear-ended and pushed under the car in front of her and the box stayed put. only the carpet wrinkled up a little bit and it was a moderately severe collision (caused 6k in damage to her car). i've used it two other times with installs for my friends with great results...

like mentioned, i would not use it if there is a possibility the box can come in contact with the driver in a severe crash (IE SUV, truck, ect.) but in the trunk, it works great...

Another option is teathering the subbox to the babyseat anchor (or similar) with steel cable. It won't be as secure a bolted to the floor but atleast the box won't kill anyone. A quick disconnect will allow tool-less removal.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.