Using Bondo

GstRdr1
10+ year member

I have an amp rack that I built and would like to smooth out the lines by using some bondo. Is this possible without having to glass it? Will the bondo adhere to the wood so I can sand and cover or paint? Thanks

Originally posted by GstRdr1 I have an amp rack that I built and would like to smooth out the lines by using some bondo. Is this possible without having to glass it? Will the bondo adhere to the wood so I can sand and cover or paint? Thanks

It will adhere to the wood just fine. But if you need any strength out of it I would suggest bondo hair/ kitty hair/ mar glass. There all the same thing body filler with chopped mat added in for strength. But if you don't need any strength just cosmetics. Bondo will work just fine //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I totally agree. Also don't forget Duraglass as a fiberglass reinforced body filler.

If you decide just to use body filler, then get some Rage Gold body filler. It is easier to sand than most other body fillers out there. I've heard a lot of bad things about Bondo brand, but haven't used it personally.

He!! there are so many names of the stuff //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Yeah I don't particularly care for bondo brand filler myself. I use dynatron gold. It's really easy to sand also. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by mgaidica bondo has made me mad... i put it on and cant get it smooth.. very hard to sand.
Here's a time saving tip for any kind of body filler. Get a cheese grater type body file. They are pretty cheap at auto parts stores. THen when the filler starts to set up it will become rubbery at first. This is when you want to take your cheese grater and knock down all of the ridges. Saves alot of time and sandpaper. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.