UPS Shipping Carnage

holy magnet!...that thing is frickin huuuuge...how big is that. 70+ lbs?! wtf... honestly though....who packaged that...because if it WASNT ups....then whoever did it is a dumass for just SCREWING down a 70 lb. sub...you gotta bolt and screw that thing...and MUST put this side up and Fragile stickers on that crap....70lbs tumbling around, screwed OR bolted to particle board is NOT gonna hold up.

i work for ups and they f*ck up the packages. when the package is big and heavy they especially treat it bad. the unloader just drop them down from the trailer. in my department small sort we kind of treat them better than the unloaders and the bulk people.

NEVER peanuts... those are the worst for a speaker... they turn to dust and get in the gap. If you are shipping a tweeter, maybe. But anything with the slightest heft to it, dont use them. Had to do plenty of recones on subs that didnt need a full recone until it got packed with peanuts in the polevent, gap, everywhere...
Sorry but having those cute little pink peanuts for protection is great. All you have to do is tightly package the sub with a perfect fit box. Then get a box that is 3x bigger than the perfect fit box and fill 1/4 of the box with peanuts than lay the perfect fit box right in the middle. Then filling up the big box with a full load of peanuts. And voila, a great way of packaging a sub.

I call this method. "Dantes Peak"

dante

Livinlife... yes, I would say that that would probably work well for up to a 35 lbs sub (unless you used double wall boxes then you might be able to up that some). Unfortunately you would be the only one that I would have ever seen go through all of that trouble to actually pack something correctly... thats the main reason why I tell people to keep the original packaging. But Ill bet you a granola bar that his 70+ lbs subs would crumble Dantes Peak //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Oh and that still doesnt help the situation blowing all over my warehouse floor...lol

wlmrs... investigation? UPS doesnt investigate squat. They bog you down and promise to get back in touch regarding your claim... only to finally deny it with insufficient packaging... but there is a way around that. You pay $500 per package to have them tested at their facility to make sure it passes their rigorous testing... this goes for each size and model of speaker shipped. So in other words... you lose.

Subs weigh ~87lbs a piece. Shipping weight on boxes was 99lbs. UPS is coming by tomorrow to pick up the broken one. Chris at Shocker told me they would deal with UPS and just send me another sub. So hopefully this works out ok.

Livinlife... yes, I would say that that would probably work well for up to a 35 lbs sub (unless you used double wall boxes then you might be able to up that some). Unfortunately you would be the only one that I would have ever seen go through all of that trouble to actually pack something correctly... thats the main reason why I tell people to keep the original packaging. But Ill bet you a granola bar that his 70+ lbs subs would crumble Dantes Peak //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Oh and that still doesnt help the situation blowing all over my warehouse floor...lol

wlmrs... investigation? UPS doesnt investigate squat. They bog you down and promise to get back in touch regarding your claim... only to finally deny it with insufficient packaging... but there is a way around that. You pay $500 per package to have them tested at their facility to make sure it passes their rigorous testing... this goes for each size and model of speaker shipped. So in other words... you lose.
i guess......i just find it a great success when i sent my RE XXX to RE. i guess it is different, and depends on the "person" handling the package.

dante

hows your XXX 20 LB more then mine?
Shipping weight and actual weight is different... With the crate and everything else she tops out close to 100lbs //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Makes walkin down 2 sets of stairs to put it in your car interesting...

Man you cant just use a wooden box and expect it not to move. If anything when a wooden box hit on impact, it wont cushion the speaker but just colapse with it. The key to packing anything that heavy is using a COMBINATION of material. You can never overpacked; pack it like its going to war if you have to.

Reasons why DD's packaging ownz you all. and im not a fan of ups, they never show up on time, ever and they stole a roll of 50 foot kicker zero guage out of my order at one point. yeah that pissed me off. but glad to hear your geting another sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.