UPS can **** it.....FED EX came early!!!

ItalynStylion
10+ year member

Audiophile
They weren't supposed to arrive till tomorrow....a day early ftw!

I'm building a home theater sub for my apartment and I decided on some ED stuff. I was originally looking at stuff from parts express but I could get a plate amp with 350watts RMS for the same price as a 250watt amp from parts express. Also, they had some "B-stock" 13oV.2's that were only $110 so I decided that was what I would do. B-stock, for those that don't know, is cosmetically damaged in some way. Functionality is not compromised.

PICS!

HTsub001-1.jpg

HTsub004-1.jpg

HTsub002-1.jpg

Here is the "cosmetic damage".......I guess I'll have to live with a scratched sticker:laugh:

HTsub003-1.jpg

HTsub005-1.jpg

HTsub006.jpg

HTsub007.jpg

HTsub008.jpg

I've already started....even before the stuff came in //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

It's going into a box that's a little less than 3 cubes before port and sub displacement. It's going to be tuned to about 28hz. The guys at elemental designs told me I should tune it to 20 which sounded too low to me. Someone else confirmed that it was too low and told me 28 would be much better. The port will be a 4" precision port that should come in the mail tomorrow. I still need to get some isolation feet for the box though.

I decided on birch wood for the box this time. I figured it would be a piece of furniture (most likely a small table) so I would try and make it look nice //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I'm using black Onyx stain and a clear polyurethane sealer to protect it. I think it should come out nice. Here are some progress pics...

HTsub002.jpg

HTsub003.jpg

HTsub005.jpg

HTsub004.jpg

I think the setup will be a little overkill for what I want but it should be fun //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'm thinking about making some satellite speakers too but I can't find cheap cross-overs that have a highpass around 80hz and still have the correct cross over for the tweet and the mid.

28hz for watching movies a little high for me. In car, 28hz is a great tuning frequency for nice depth and quality sound. But when you're watching movies, it's really nice to have the real low end depth and tuning in the low 20s is great for picking up all the real low stuff in movies.

28hz for watching movies a little high for me. In car, 28hz is a great tuning frequency for nice depth and quality sound. But when you're watching movies, it's really nice to have the real low end depth and tuning in the low 20s is great for picking up all the real low stuff in movies.
Do you think I should take it down to something like 25 then? It's not a big deal, I'm changing the frequency by cutting the port to length so it's variable till I install the port. (not like a slot port)

I guess that sort of does make sense to tune it lower. We will listen to some music on it and some movies. I think it will be an equal split between the two.

Any other suggestions?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ItalynStylion

10+ year member
Audiophile
ItalynStylion
Fort Worth, Tx.
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date