upgrading from 2 15s to 4 12s

Matt A
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
well we all know that the 12s will be louder but will they bring that low end to the table that i love... i love my jeezy and gucci basslines and those r low end oriented.... is it a smart idea to upgrade my 2 15 hdc3s to 4 12 hdc3s.... i will have to keep both setups on an old aq 3500d for now tho...perhaps upgrading power later.... so do u think its possible to get a 15" woofer sound out of a 12"?...thank you

I have ran 10's 12's and 15's honestly 15's have a much better low end and in the correct box will play notes as high as 10's will maybe just not as punchy or with as much impact but will still be there. a 15 is hard to beat why not go 3 or 4 15's

keep in mind that going from 2 15s to 4 12s is only actually about a 20-25% increase in cone area, it will be an upgrade however as far as more cooling surface tho...the box will be key

Size really has no bearing on the sound from the woofers, its all enclosure.
Speaker diameter is not the dictating factor on low frequency response, but it does affect how the speaker will 'sound'. Cone diameter affects efficiency, which alters Fs, if nothing else.

BL you gotta move air to get any output at lower freqs, Fs notwithstanding, bigger drivers move more air and play louder, lower. You can make up for the size advantage of a single large driver with several smaller ones and not lose anything on the low end. Depending on the line, some smaller drivers have a lower Fs than their larger brethren. Usually because they stiffen the crap out of the suspension on the bigger driver.

well it will be all aq hdc3s but my main concern is the low loud end... the reason y i say 4 12s is because i dont think i can fit 16 cubes in the back of my envoy without walling it...but i can deff fit 10 cubes

haha well i dont wanna do 3 15s and have a goofy ohm load.... and i dont have enough airspace (and be able to see out of my rearview) to do 3 15s hdc3s anyway...they like lots of airspace (4.5 cubes for optimization)...so how do i design the box in order to make up for the fact i will have 12s?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.