Upgrade to a 2006 Accord EXL sedan

Participant count
  • Participant list

Rudyjr

CarAudio.com Newbie
I wanted to upgrade the head unit in my wifes 2006 V6 Accord EXL with 50k on the odometer that we have owned since new. Since these cars have the HVAC controls built into the head unit it has proved to be a real learning experience. After looking at the different options out there I decided to go with the PAC Audio RPk4-HD1110 kit paired with the Sony XAV-AX100 head unit. I purchased from Crutchfield and they have been very supportive with the two issues that I have had. After the initial installation I noticed that the head unit changed the set radio station each time the car was turned off and back on. I called Crutchfield and PAC Audio and they determined that the radio needed replaced which I did and have the exact same result. PAC Audio says that the issue lies with the fact that the Sony head unit is shutting off after the PAC unit and the steering controls rest at ground. Their solution is to add a TR7 module and relay to keep the PAC unit awake longer. Seems like a lot of work for a little gain to me. Anyone here ever heard of this or have any other suggestions. They say it is definitely not the clockspring issue that they have a tech bulletin on, and they claim they have not seen this issue on anything other that Sony radios a few years ago.

I installed that same Sony unit in my Jeep last winter and I really like it.    Mine has given me no trouble at all, but then again I never use the tuner, only USB sticks and bluetooth for source. 

By my estimation the simplest fix would be to tap into +12 constant, ACC, and ground somewhere else in the vehicle and run the Sony off of those, bypassing any problematic switching in the PAC OEM integration unit. 

You could probably google where to find +12 and ACC in that vehicle (behind or around the fuse box or under the steering column most likely) and do it yourself for the cost of 10 feet of 14 gauge wire and a few crimp connectors or any half competent install shop could likely sort it out for you in under 30 minutes.    It would surely be less cost and trouble than adding a relay module and be 100% certain to fix the issue provided it isn't an issue with the head unit itself.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.