Upgrade sundown SLD10

Participant count
  • Participant list

Djt5278

Erie, PA
Currently have a SLD10D2 on a SFB2000 at 1ohm, takes that power daily no problem. Sounds great, gets loud, but doesn't hit the lows quite as well as I want. Box is .81 cubes tuned to 31.5hz with an aero port. SLD10 mounting depth is 4.9", and that's all I can go. This is in a 21 F150 supercab, behind the rear seats.

I've been out of the stereo game for a while, so I'm looking for subwoofer recommendations to get more low end.

Currently have a SLD10D2 on a SFB2000 at 1ohm, takes that power daily no problem. Sounds great, gets loud, but doesn't hit the lows quite as well as I want. Box is .81 cubes tuned to 31.5hz with an aero port. SLD10 mounting depth is 4.9", and that's all I can go. This is in a 21 F150 supercab, behind the rear seats.

I've been out of the stereo game for a while, so I'm looking for subwoofer recommendations to get more low end.
Wonder if your box is too small? I had the 12 in 1.5@35hz and it had no problem getting low. I was running one 4” aero port externally.

Wonder if your box is too small? I had the 12 in 1.5@35hz and it had no problem getting low. I was running one 4” aero port externally.
It will get low, but not as loud as I'd like. Do you think the 12 would make a whole lot of difference? I can build another box and gain maybe .2 cubes, but I feel like that wouldn't be worth the wood. The 12 would fit in my current box, but it would be way undersized.

My last install was an Incriminator Audio Death Penalty 15 in 4.5 cubes @27hz on a DD M3C, before that was an 18. I know I'm not going to be near that level with a single shallow 10, but I'd like to get all I can.

It will get low, but not as loud as I'd like. Do you think the 12 would make a whole lot of difference? I can build another box and gain maybe .2 cubes, but I feel like that wouldn't be worth the wood. The 12 would fit in my current box, but it would be way undersized.

My last install was an Incriminator Audio Death Penalty 15 in 4.5 cubes @27hz on a DD M3C, before that was an 18. I know I'm not going to be near that level with a single shallow 10, but I'd like to get all I can.
I definitely would not smother the 12” more than the 10” is being smothered. My solution would be to build a box with the needed airspace. If you are not able to do that, maybe find a sub that would work better with the space you are working with. Dayton ho maybe?

I definitely would not smother the 12” more than the 10” is being smothered. My solution would be to build a box with the needed airspace. If you are not able to do that, maybe find a sub that would work better with the space you are working with. Dayton ho maybe?

I'm always afraid of running a "mainstream" brand subwoofer like dayton JL alpine etc. I'm used to competition brands that can handle much more power than they're rated. Is this true or have the "consumer' subwoofers changed since I've been out?

No shallow mount woofers in the planet will get "lower" then the sld currently. Shallow mount woofers sacrifice a lot for a shallow depth shorter coil underhung motor the sld is as good as it gets as far as low hz shallows go. There are other shallow woofers that are far superior for sound quality applications.

I guess it's good to hear I can't beat what I already have, that just means I need to change the box! I can squeeze another 1" of mounting depth which would bring me to just under 6".

Dug around the brands I could remember and the SSA GCON came up with 5.8" depth and seemed to model the best in winisd.

Is SSA still a good brand? Any other recommendations under 6" depth and similar price range? Optioned out GCON is $330.

If you can fit it I would go with the SSA
If I had to change subs right now It would between SSA and Fi but due to long order times on The Fi the SSA would win out in the end
Patience is a virtue that I don't seem to have

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...