Upgrade from CDA-9855 to ida-X001 ???

Because of the horrific UI on the Alpine 9855. I am considering switching to Alpines ida-X001.

I see that my 9855 is rated at a pre-output of 4v while the X001 is rated at 2v.

Would this make at difference on the sound level? Would I compensate by just turning the X001 up louder or by adjusting the gain of my external amps?

I had Tweeter install the 9855 but they will not install the X001 unless I buy it from them. I have a gift certificate for an on-line merchant that will cover the purchase.

I used to do car audio installers myself but I haven't for years. I believe the harness for the two units is the same so I believe the install will be pretty straight forward.

Any thoughts on the pre-out voltages and the installation of the X001?

By the way, I do have an XM unit and an I-Pod connected to the AI-Net box. I would want to install the I-Pod using the direct connect.

Thanks all...Jeff

I too would reccomend the CDA-9887 over the IDA-X001. Only real loss is that you don't have the ipodesque screen to see your info on. Gains include ability to play CDs, lots more sound processing, and you still get similar iPod control.

Jeff what kind of car do you have? The harness I believe is the same, so as long as the unit is easily removed it should be something you can do yourself.

You will be changing out your KCA-420i box for a KCE-422i cable for the ipod interface (Unless you stick with the X001, it uses USB), your XM box should still work (is it the Terk one?).

96G;

I have an 05 Crown Victoria Sport, (not a cop car).

The issues I have with the 9855 are the slide bar. I find it very difficult to use with the Ipod and thus, I hardly use my attached Ipod.

Is the interface on the 9887 easy to use with the Pod and XM?

Also, if I installed the 9887 I would disconnect the IA-Net XM box and use the KCE-422i cable correct?

I guess I wouldn't need to adjust the gain on the amps as the 9887 is rated the same as the 9855.

Do you need to purchase software to use all the features of the 9887?

I appreciate your help and i think I have more research to do.

I really liked the Ipod access the X001 provided. If the 9887 is equally as good, maybe that is the unit I should go for.

I have seen several threads where people think the 9887 is better than most other models. Can you tell me why?

Thanks again...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.