Unusual Request: Building a R2-D2 Droid From Starwars, I need an amp recommendation

Participant count
  • Participant list

DKMurphy

I'm building a full scale radio control R2-D2 robot from Star Wars. I'm building this for charity work (goes to children's hospitals and such), and personal enjoyment. I'm painting it with a custom hotrod color scheme. The droid will operate off of a deep cycle 12v battery.

I'm good with electronics, but I don't know much about car audio. Most R2 builders sound systems ****. They just want basic sounds and usually run very small amps, 2x15w or so and 2, 3" cheapest they can find, speakers. Needless to say they sound like crap. I've explored stand alone amplifier boards that people use to build home audio systems with. However most of these run at well over 12v to get any kind of decent amplification. I'm up to speed with the basic theory on car audio I need help with specific components.

My biggest design factor is the small space I have to work with. The frame interior is only 17" tall and the largest diameter available is 15". So in a 17"x15" cylinder I need to fit: Car battery, Subwoofer, 4 speakers, and other associated electronics for radio control.

Any time I try to get advice on the R2 boards I just get bombarded with negative responses, or at best people don't know anything about audio.

Here is the setup I am trying to do:

1 sub 10" shallow mount Powerbass 550W sub (already purchased) {this is about the biggest I can fit}

4 speakers for the rest (haven't purchased yet open to recommendations)

1 12v amp.

The Amp is the most difficult part at this point because of my limited space. I need a physically small amp. Something that can run the 4 speakers and the sub. When I contact Crutchfield all I get is $500 or up recommendations. I'm NOT an audiophile, I'm not rich, I want this to sound decent though and have the ability to turn it up and play some music and have it loud (for conventions), and sound decent.

I am going to buy speakers after the amp. If I can get away with wiring the 4 main speakers into 2 R/L channels and the sub on another channel that would be fine. The amp is the heart of the system. I need something small, and powerful enough to give good sound. I'd like to keep the amp price $300 or less. What would you recommend and why?

Oh, they are kids, and chicks love it. The audio system is for me! It keeps me interested in building it. This is a 2 year project, everything is hand built, there are no kits. I've been doing bondo work on the frame for 2 months.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.