unOfficial 2008 alpine iDA-X--- series HU thread

Thanks Jr, I knew you'd have the answers. My iPod should arrive any day now and I'll definitely check out the MediaMonkey website and start learning about ID Tags.

That, or I'll just stick with the HD and forget all this other nonsense that I don't have time for...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

not sure if i caught it or not, but does the ipod turn off after you head unit turns off?

the reason i ask is because when i remove the key from the ignition, player is still on. When i open my door, player shuts off but the ipod is still on.

Thanks Jr, I knew you'd have the answers. My iPod should arrive any day now and I'll definitely check out the MediaMonkey website and start learning about ID Tags.
That, or I'll just stick with the HD and forget all this other nonsense that I don't have time for...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
OK Jr, got another one for you.

I just got my iPod and loaded all my music onto it without a hitch. Thing is, when I plug it into the X100, the HU displays, "USB Device Error."

Is this the software version problem I've read about?

My iPod is a 30GB gen 5 unit (late 2006 model) with software version 1.3.

EDIT: I've also imported all of my music into MediaMonkey. Since this original question, I've "restored" my iPod and sync'd it to MediaMonkey. I'm still getting the "USB Device Error" message on my X100.

I just got my iPod and loaded all my music onto it without a hitch. Thing is, when I plug it into the X100, the HU displays, "USB Device Error."

EDIT: I've also imported all of my music into MediaMonkey. Since this original question, I've "restored" my iPod and sync'd it to MediaMonkey. I'm still getting the "USB Device Error" message on my X100.
Hmm, not sure. I get that error every once in a while, they way I correct it is to reset the ipod it self. I just leave it attached and reset it, once it's done resting the HU reads it, it switches source to ipod then it says "searching" then good to go. If you don't know how to reset it, just hold the center botton, and the one right above it(forgot what the button is used for, I think menu)tell it resets.

You said you restored it? I am taking it that you restored it with itunes, that's the only way I know, if you didn't restore it with itunes. Usually a restore solves most problems.

Question, does the music play fine just using it as a mp3 player, through the headphones?

Hmm, not sure. I get that error every once in a while, they way I correct it is to reset the ipod it self. I just leave it attached and reset it, once it's done resting the HU reads it, it switches source to ipod then it says "searching" then good to go. If you don't know how to reset it, just hold the center botton, and the one right above it(forgot what the button is used for, I think menu)tell it resets.
You said you restored it? I am taking it that you restored it with itunes, that's the only way I know, if you didn't restore it with itunes. Usually a restore solves most problems.

Question, does the music play fine just using it as a mp3 player, through the headphones?
Yes, I restored it using iTunes.

It works just great as an MP3 player. I've tried both iTunes and MediaMonkey and your right, MediaMonkey is great - I'm sticking with it.

I haven't tried a reset yet. I'll give your method a shot. If that doesn't work, then I'm afraid it's likely the latest version of iTunes and firmware that aren't compatible with the HU. The Alpine operators manual clearly says they don't guarantee performance with iTunes versions newer than 7.4.3.1. My unit has been restored and updated using iTunes 7.6 (the latest version). According to all the iPod forums I've visited in the past 24 hours, it looks like there is no rolling back the firmware once any version 7 of iTunes has touched it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

I'll let you know what happens. Worse case scenario - I'm stuck with a really nice MP3 player and my 160GB USB HD for the X100.

EDIT: That's a big no-go on the reset. Still getting "USB Device Error" message. I'll try calling Alpine on Monday and if I get nowhere, I guess maybe I'll be posting a used iPod for sale on eBay.

I connected the KCE-300BT (bluetooth module) on the weekend. After setting up the INT Mute in the general settings of the menu, I sync'd up my KRZR K1 phone in about 30 seconds. The phone functionality is as good as any OEM setup, with my complete phone book, missed calls and recent calls all coming up with their own menu options.

Placing a call will also pause the iPod, resuming as soon as the call is over.

I can also play back any music stored on the phone via bluetooth.

Overall its a pretty cool piece of hardware, would recommend if anyone has a bluetooth phone.

------------------

Now the only problem is getting the Sirius to work with my Imprint module. Alpine Tech told me my 3 yr old SIR-ALP1 will not work with the PXA-H100, so I bought the two new Sirius Connect modules and connected them up, but they reacted identically to the old module.

The problem is I get nothing but static, however the display is showing the station name, song name and artist on the display. The problem is not that the Sirius isn't working, but instead it seems the input on the Imprint isn't letting the sound pass thru. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif

I connected the KCE-300BT (bluetooth module) on the weekend. After setting up the INT Mute in the general settings of the menu, I sync'd up my KRZR K1 phone in about 30 seconds. The phone functionality is as good as any OEM setup, with my complete phone book, missed calls and recent calls all coming up with their own menu options.
Placing a call will also pause the iPod, resuming as soon as the call is over.

I can also play back any music stored on the phone via bluetooth.

Overall its a pretty cool piece of hardware, would recommend if anyone has a bluetooth phone.

------------------

Now the only problem is getting the Sirius to work with my Imprint module. Alpine Tech told me my 3 yr old SIR-ALP1 will not work with the PXA-H100, so I bought the two new Sirius Connect modules and connected them up, but they reacted identically to the old module.

The problem is I get nothing but static, however the display is showing the station name, song name and artist on the display. The problem is not that the Sirius isn't working, but instead it seems the input on the Imprint isn't letting the sound pass thru. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif
yEAH, the BT300 works fine, and sound quailty is not bad it the mic is place in a good location.

It worked great with my moto q9c. But with my Blackberry 8320, it won't sync, it says updating forever, I even left it like that for 30 mins. But it still works, just no caller ID info and no address book:(

Are you using the alpine supplied cable, and not the one from Apple? I think I read somewhere that only the Alpine cable will work.

I also just bought a 5th gen iPod, version 1.3, with the latest iTunes and it's working perfectly fine for me. My guess would be that it's a cable problem.

1) Select all the songs, right click, click on Info, and select "Yes" for the "Compilation" drop down on the bottom left.

2) AAC should be fine, although I don't use it.

3) I also use Amazon and a Google images search for getting album art since Apple doesn't have all bands.

For ripping, you can try using EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and LAME. That'll get you the best quality, at least for MP3s.

I use the extreme preset, which gets me ~240 kbps VBR mp3s. Once a CD is done ripping, it'll put the MP3 encoding in the background, and you can move on to ripping the next CD while the other(s) encode.

I have a few questions for you Apple/iPod experts (JrVtecAccord)...
1. I've tried importing compilation CD's into iTunes and instead of being listed as an album with the album title associated, the individual songs get spread out throughout the library. Is there a way to make iTunes keep this type of CD as a whole album?

2. Can I load lossless AAC files onto the iPod and then play them back through the X100 or is 320kbps the limit no matter what?

3. How come iTunes cannot find album art for some of my more common/mainstream albums, yet it has come through for a few of my older and more obscure albums? Are there other places where I can go online to download album cover art (that will display on the iPod and X100)?

4. I finally got MediaMonkey downloaded onto my laptop but I haven't played with it yet (it looks complicated). If I decide to use MediaMonkey instead of iTunes, does it also transfer cover art to the iPod and X100 just like iTunes? Will MediaMonkey allow me to import compilation CD's and keep them as a single album?

Are you using the alpine supplied cable, and not the one from Apple? I think I read somewhere that only the Alpine cable will work.
I also just bought a 5th gen iPod, version 1.3, with the latest iTunes and it's working perfectly fine for me. My guess would be that it's a cable problem.
Are you talking about the KCE-422i "full-speed" cable or is there an Alpine USB cable I don't know about?

palmfish: Your IDA-X100 should have come with a short (maybe 4"?) USB -> dock cable. You plug that in to the other cable (USB male) that goes into the HU, the same one you were using to connect your USB HD. The KCE-422i is a separate cable that's only needed for older (3rd, 4th gen) iPods.

palmfish: Your IDA-X100 should have come with a short (maybe 4"?) USB -> dock cable. You plug that in to the other cable (USB male) that goes into the HU, the same one you were using to connect your USB HD. The KCE-422i is a separate cable that's only needed for older (3rd, 4th gen) iPods.
As far as I know, mine didn't come with that shorter cable. I guess I need to call the shop that I purchased my HU from.

Thanks for the tip!

You can see it listed on page 6 of the manual in the list of accessories, right above the Owner's manual bullet point.
You hit the nail on the head edy. My Alpine iPod cable was in my glovebox (right where the installer left it). My iPod and X100 work perfectly together now.

Thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.