under rated amps

d77543020
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
stockton ca
just wondering what is every one thoughts on amps that do more then rated for example the rockford t1000 is well known to do 1500 rms but rockford calls it a 1000 watt amp so the buyer thinks there geting a great deal,just wondering what every ones thoughts are on this practice i mean any company can make a 2000 rms amp and just call it the 1000 so everyone can say how great the amp is but at what point does it become misleading

But to answer your question all the higher end companies want to underate their amps to get more hype about them which is good id rather have a amp than does well more than rated....like the new aq3500.. Does 4300rms.

Everyone loves a cheater amp
but my point is its not really a cheater amp because the manufacturer decided to label it a certain way the aq 3500 could easily be called the aq 4000 if on average it did 4300 rms why not call it the aq 2500 then people would really **** there pants,they would be like WOW my amp is rated for 2500 but it does 4300 holly **** audioque ftw

I know what you mean man... it's weird. I think maybe they just rate them at like, a worst case scenario. Like, if you have awful ohm rise and a hamster for your electrical.

But it's also just marketing. It's annoying because their "ratings" are just as useless as being underrated, because I wanna know what the amp ACTUALLY puts out, so you need clamp numbers to see HOW underrated it is, and what you're really getting.

Grizz Archer mentioned on the PPI Phantom thread that the PPI P1000.1 is somewhat underrated. It does 1200watts instead of 1000watts RMS at 1ohm. This was not intentional, but by an accident. The Soundstream Tarantula TN1200.1D is supposed to be the same amp internally and this one is supposedly more accurately rated at 660/1050/1200 at 4/2/1ohm..

Both amps costs about the same.. so I don't see the big savings from buying an "underrated" amp.

I'd say at 500w over...at that point they might as well just call it a 500,1000,1500,etc.
i completely agree with this,what if instead of pyle over rating there amps what if they under rated them i mean its still a pyle amp but if it did more then rated would opinions change about the company

i completely agree with this,what if instead of pyle over rating there amps what if they under rated them i mean its still a pyle amp but if it did more then rated would opinions change about the company
Kind of a good point. If they have the Pyle PLA2378. It's rated at 2K, but is luck to put out 800w. So if they marketed it at a 500w amp and it gave you 800w would people start to change their minds about it? I would say yes AND no. Only because the name already has a bad rep, and many wont mess with it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.