Under Hood Power Wire Insulation?

Participant count
  • Participant list

RebelDogg
10+ year member

Badd Dogg
Wondering if I should be worried about heat on my power wires? I have not had a problem with my 4ga, but I'm replacing it with 1/0 and also using the excess 1/0 to do my "Big Three." I'm wondering about my chassis to block wire mostly because it seems like it might be in a really hot area. Should I get some of that heat insulator crap that I see on some other stuff (the kind held on with tie straps) or will the wire be fine?

I'm going to try to find some split loom, but I don't guess that'll help with heat so much. Anyone know where I can get the colored wire loom? I've seen it before, but not in any stores locally. I want to buy local, not online, because I need it tomorrow morning. I'm looking for stores in Kenner, Metairie, Harahan areas if anyone is local to me.

I used fiberglass header tape for mine. My car was over heating, and I was miles away from anywhere, and I didn't want to damage any electrical systems, so I used header tape over most of the wiring, including wiring harness for the car.

Thanks, guys. I'll keep those in mind while I'm out tomorrow. I'll see what O'reillys has (I hate Autozone and Pep Boys is too far). Now I have an idea of some stuff to ask for.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.