Dead Amp???

jer_stud56
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Caraudio
Hifonics BX1000D (Monoblock 1000w @ 1 ohm)

Driving down the interstate under normal listening conditions...subs randomly stopped working.

Powers on normal voltage readings.

Checked back of head unit twice...everything seems to be fine.

Checked both fuses....both fine. Amp does everything like normal. Green power, not in protect.

Each sub is reading 1.5 Ohms. Is that correct to make it 1 ohm? Is it 1.5 / 1.5 = 1 ohm or 1.5 + 1.5 = 3 ohm? I can't remember how to do it right. Wth is going on??? Anyone have any suggestions? I've never had this problem before.

Each sub is reading 1.5 Ohms. Is that correct to make it 1 ohm? Is it 1.5 / 1.5 = 1 ohm or 1.5 + 1.5 = 3 ohm? I can't remember how to do it right. Wth is going on??? Anyone have any suggestions? I've never had this problem before.
What? If they are in series, you add the individual impedences, if they are in parallel and all the same impedences, divide total load/total number of them.

Parallel: 1.5 ohm + 1.5 ohm = .75 ohm

Series: 1.5 ohm + 1.5 ohm = 3 ohm

Check using a dmm if ur getting any output from your amp.

they're in parallel. .75 ohm? No good...lol my amp is only rated at 1 ohm. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

that can definitely cause problems with it over heating and blowing, but it may also be able to survive at that due to imp rise with your box, just check the amp for output, if its not doin anything and you're sure everything else is fine, something is wrong with the amp. Also, if it got f'd up due to the low load, it would usually go into protect mode.

re-checked the ohm load...both are right around ~2.1 moving around there. I must have done it wrong checking them before. So many **** settings on my DMM.

I can't get any output from the amp. RCAs seem to be fine...I checked those when I took my deck out. I'm thinking it's just a dead amp. I don't exactly know why though.

Again this was just randomly...I was playing my subs under normal listening conditions...I've definitely had it louder. Then once in a while they would kick back on for a couple seconds and turn back off. I even took out my in-line fuse and hooked it up directly...same thing.

ground? check in it foe burn marks etc. had one do this last week in a friends ride, just resanded the ground, reconnected all wires and switched the fuses and click prob fixed!

alright I'll look into it more tomorrow when I have daylight. Got too dark to do anything else. I'll try and find some different RCAs to go around the outside of my car lol.

did you find out if those subs are in series? ive had a blown coil cause a random on and off, as in it makes contact and works for a few then it looses connection till you hit the correct bump down the road.

did you find out if those subs are in series? ive had a blown coil cause a random on and off, as in it makes contact and works for a few then it looses connection till you hit the correct bump down the road.
It was randomly working once in a while for one "bump" of the subs...then back off.

I found some different RCA cables...no go there. Took off my ground, sanded the connector and made sure I could get off all the paint underneath it...no problem there. Turns on fine.

Checked with the DMM...getting 12.46 volts when off...14.45 when car is started.

My KnuKonceptz RCAs don't work when I check them with the DMM //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

but the RCAs I changed to worked on the DMM when I checked them...but the amp wasn't working.

I'm gonna take the subs out tomorrow and check them...although I'm getting ~2.2 ohms per sub when I checked them so they seem fine.

Ugh...frustrating. I've had some problems before that I have been able to fix, but this one is ridiculous.

Also took the back cover off my amp. There IS a dark spot where my amp went bad before, but I got that fixed before but the connection still seems to be fine right now. Maybe I'll order another amp...I think that has to be the problem. Something went wrong inside and I have no idea what.

Anyone else have any more suggestions before I order a new amp?

BTW the subs are in series.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.