Ultra Cheap Budget Build

Participant count
  • Participant list

Kayge

Florida
So, i always wanted to do a build of this type. My total budget is under 800.00.

This is also my first fiberglass enclosure.

Vehicle - 1999 Lincoln Navigator

Equipment:

Head Unit - Soundstream VR-345 - 98.00

Amp - Precision Power PPI S550.1D - 68.00

Wiring - Belva BAK42 Wiring Kit - 29.99

Speakers - MB Quart RKM168 5x7's - 80.00

Subs - 4 x GRS 10SW-4 10" - 81.00

Building Materials - 110.00

Total (so far) = 467.00

Day 1 -

Cut Speaker rings, Bottom Cutout, and first set of braces. Hot glued them all together for fitment test.

100_2213_zpskw5domlr.jpg

100_2214_zpscr5guzzf.jpg

Added fiberglass to strengthen joints, and attached fleece to the first edge. . .

100_2215_zpsvv3uqtwe.jpg

Day 2-

Covered entire box with fleece and dropped in the round plugs

100_2216_zpsieptjvgs.jpg

100_2217_zpsjdrxbrbk.jpg

Applied First coat of Fiberglass Resin. Only had a one quart can and i ran out.

100_2219_zpskfvolkm1.jpg

100_2220_zpsrbds7x6n.jpg

Day 3-

Bought a 1 Gallon can of Resin and applied a full coat over the enclosure. Once it dries, i can start applying the actual sheets of fiber glass

100_2221_zpsure1ddfc.jpg

100_2222_zps2dgz7d1h.jpg

applied more to bottom edges to seal around the fleece

100_2224_zpsjmq7gtkw.jpg

100_2225_zpsqykcxvsq.jpg

The first layer of resin has cured over the fleece, i knocked out the speaker ring plugs and did a test fit . . .

100_2229_zpsjlnbchyp.jpg

100_2233_zps5ftkofmv.jpg

The black circles are where the resin cracked when removing the plugs. A minor setback, as all i have to do is apply more resin to seal the cracks. In hindsight, I would have probably wrapped the speaker ring plugs in saran wrap so the resin wouldn't have actually stuck to the plugs causing the few cracks.

100_2234_zpsmc3mmkru.jpg

This is the worst crack, i may have to actually cut this small piece off and apply some fiberglass strands to repair and strengthen it. .

100_2235_zpsp62mhcs5.jpg

And here it is with the subs staged. .

100_2228_zpsi74qoxu8.jpg

100_2227_zpslhf4zlzh.jpg

100_2226_zpskydkwrmh.jpg

More to come on Day 4 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Whole lotta work for really ****** equipment :/
I actually bought the shallowmount GRS 10 for a project, since i was curious on what it sounds like. I wasnt out much if the project failed and could always repurpose it. To be honest, That shallow mount 10 can hang with the big boys easily. On 50 watts free air on receiver power with no crossovers, It sounded almost as loud as my old jl 12W3 v.1 on 300 watts and response was very linear. I need to pick up my high QTS sealed enclosures from cscstang and see how they do on full power in an actual enclosure. So far its promising for the 30 dollars i paid.

The subs the only thing that I would not knock, the rest are not so great choices. If you bought a 120 dollar head unit from sonic or crutchfield, you get the install accessories free, thats 30 dollars worth. 120 vs 110 and you get a MUCH better head unit for 120 with dash mounting kit and wiring harness included.

The amp kit says 4 gauge but its actually closer to 8 gauge wiring. For the same price you could have gotten knukonceptz's KCA 4 gauge wiring kit for 30 dollars shipped which is a legit 4 gauge (a big bigger actually).

always check with the forum before buying man. I know there are some guys that recommend you spending out of the @ss but there are guys that know how to crunch a really tight(but hella good) budget system too.

http://www.amazon.com/KnuKonceptz-KCA-Complete-Gauge-Installation/dp/B0050I6KII

Belva is the same as the other two

%24T2eC16dHJH!FFl4wy-U(BRbzofog4Q~~60_58.JPG

well, I guess i can start by saying when i got the truck, there was nothing in it. No speakers, no head unit . . nothing

all this truck does is pull a trailer on the weekends. I had 5k into my last system, and when i got rid of that truck, i sold everything and recouped maybe 2k of it all. . . so this build is targeting the cheapest route possible tbh. I know its not the best equipment. . nor do i really care. Im not throwing a 1500.00+ system into a truck that i only spent 1 grand on.

As far as it being alot of work . . . its just time. Thats something i have. I could have just built a little sealed mdf box in half a day and called it done. . but i took this opportunity to build a fiberglass box just because i have always wanted to build one.

@Jeffdachef, i hear what your saying about the wiring. . . but im only running 500 watts. . even if the cabling is 8 guage, its not like I actually need 4awg on that amount of power. Everything but the subs were purchased locally.

One day, IF i decide to throw better equipment in the truck (ie; DC Audio or Sundown Build) . . . This will all get ripped out, and i will use the 10's to make home audio subs out of

Last edited by a moderator:
love the work you did.

I've done a fair share of fg work and you did a great job with a custom mold.

very impressed with the angles and you have a good eye for design. Are you going to sand it smooth or carpet it?

keep up the good work and vision!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.