Uh oh...is it the batties or alt...?

It is going to take longer than 15 minutes to charge 2 almost totally dead batteries. I would get a Ctek MUS 7002 charger and charge up the cells independantly to see if you can bring them back. Even if it doesn't you have a good charger to help avoid this type of situation as a low battery is hard on an alternator anyway. Chargers like this charge more complete than an alternator as well that will mean longer battery life and better performance over the lifespan.

correct, you need to charge your batteries from dead for more than 15 minutes... more like an hour of your car being on with the (working) alt charging them and filling them back up instead of just a quickie surface charge. in my situation I was lucky that my batts were not dead at all and a 15 minute jump just gave them some more oomf in case.

Ok. Well I let it charge for a while this morning. It's been sitting for 4 hours now and it's already gone from 12.4 to 12.0. I'm heading off to autozone to check everything.

id take out your second battery and put that on a charger let your car charge your main battery, one dead battery will drain the other down. separating them will help you identify the bad battery.

Already did that. Just haven't charged the back battery. The front one won't charge either. I totally forgot but I still have my old alt in the attic. I'll dig it out tomorrow and switch them out....

Just guessing here... I would have to guess that the bearings are bad in the alt.

If the voltage is dropping slowly the diode plate in the alternator is dead.The purpose of the plate is to stop the reverse flow of electricity.With a reverse flow of voltage that turns your alternator into a heater,and that drains your batteries.

Have you checked the alt shaft for movement? If you still have the stock alt (or any other alt) put it back on for a "test" period.

With those batts you'll probably need to do a 2amp charge for a few hours to get it to hold a charge better. Doing a quick charge with a higher amperage isn't going to help.

With those batts you'll probably need to do a 2amp charge for a few hours to get it to hold a charge better. Doing a quick charge with a higher amperage isn't going to help.
Using an intelligent charger that senses sulfation helps a lot too. Another way is with an adjustable voltage power supply and patience

Sorry guys. I'm just lost when it comes to this. I don't have a battery charger. And i've ran the same electrical for 2 years now and all of a sudden, the batteries won't hold a charge. Since I don't have a charger, would it be a good test to put my old alt back in there and see if it could charge the batteries?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Davecubs14

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
Davecubs14
Madison, AL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date