Two amps wired. 4 channel amp repeatedly shuts off when it gets hot outside

Participant count
  • Participant list

coldfission
10+ year member

OH
Lately the temperature around me has reached the limits of my 4 channel amp. haha

I'm not sure if this is a wiring problem, or if the 4 channel amp is blown.

When it gets very hot out and the interior of my car is hot, the 4 channel amp keeps restarting while music is playing. It will play for 2 seconds, shut off for two seconds and repeat until the interior is cooled down enough. I can hear the frequency rapidly increasing as it shuts off each time.

Now, when i first installed the 4 channel amp i had serious issues and thats why i think its a wiring problem. The first 4 channel amp i installed in the car was a Hifonics 4 channel. The amp went into protect mode as soon as i hooked it up. I then got a Clarion 4 channel. Same thing happened. I was pretty frustrated at this point so i went with Infinity this time. the same brand amp as my sub amp. they must be unbreakable or something because it has been working like this for almost 2 years. I need to fix it now because its just too hot out for the amp.

full size pic

med_trunk2.jpg

The remote-turn-on lead goes straight from 12v Ignition to the 4 channel amp, then from 4 channel remove terminal to sub-amp remote terminal

The power goes from battery -> 80 amp fuse in engine bay -> 2 way split distribution block -> 2 amps

All audio power/ground wire in the car is 4 awg

All of the speakers work, but i'm going to double check the resistance just to be safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.