two 4ks

Participant count
  • Participant list

garretttt4
10+ year member

big pimpin
Watertown sd
got one memphis 4k right now and getting another soon. gunna do 8 12s in a wall for daily and go to a few comps here and there. 8 ab xfl 12s. how many batts do i need? gunna get a ho alt but getting a diff vehicle so not sure what size but will for sure be almost 300 amps. gunna do like 4 runs of ofc 0 gauge. just need to know how many batts. was thinking 4 deka g31 batts and a xs d3400 up front. whats ur thoughts???

No point in doing 4 runs, unless you meant total. 2 pos, 2 neg is what I would do. I kinda took it to mean 4 pos, 4 neg, which is way too much from front to back, assuming you will have only the alt and a single battery up front. Between your back bank batts and from batts to amps you will want some beefy current path though.

sounds like that should be ok. Hell i got that just for 1 4KW lol, but my alt is only rated for 220a(it tested 248a @ 2k RPMS). so im sure the 300a and dekas should be good

No point in doing 4 runs, unless you meant total. 2 pos, 2 neg is what I would do. I kinda took it to mean 4 pos, 4 neg, which is way too much from front to back, assuming you will have only the alt and a single battery up front. Between your back bank batts and from batts to amps you will want some beefy current path though.
was thinking 4 runs of pos, 1 run of neg and grounding to frame in the back in like 4 or 5 spots. and batts connected with buss bars in the back and dual inputs put on the amps.

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

4 batteries each amp is motre like it .and 2 300 amp alts ,8 runs of power and 8 runs of grounds all 0 gauge
holy crap.

4 batteries each amp is motre like it .and 2 300 amp alts ,8 runs of power and 8 runs of grounds all 0 gauge
8 runs each? From front to back? I totally agree with overkill electrical but I think that's about double what he needs, even with dual alts, and using CCA. OFC would allow for even more headroom with 4 runs each.

D@mn.....
thats what i was thinking!! lol

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

8 runs each? From front to back? I totally agree with overkill electrical but I think that's about double what he needs, even with dual alts, and using CCA. OFC would allow for even more headroom with 4 runs each.
so one alt wouldnt be enough?

you said you wanted to be loud ,i'm telling you this from experience run 2 power wires off of each alt and all the grounds from the fron battery to the rear batteries.you can cut the grounds down abit and run from the rear batts to the frame ,but you still need the 4 runs frt to back

you said you wanted to be loud ,i'm telling you this from experience run 2 power wires off of each alt and all the grounds from the fron battery to the rear batteries.you can cut the grounds down abit and run from the rear batts to the frame ,but you still need the 4 runs frt to back
ya i understand the power runs but do i REALLY need two 300 amp alts?

I do agree with the dual alts though.

was thinking 4 runs of pos, 1 run of neg and grounding to frame in the back in like 4 or 5 spots. and batts connected with buss bars in the back and dual inputs put on the amps.
I think dual alts is a very good idea. You can draw more than 300A with a single 4k theoretically. What's the fuse rating on your amp? But I would do 3-4 runs of both positive and negative depending on what size alts you get (if you go dual alt, which again should probably be done.), skip the grounding to frame. It depends on how you will play it too. If it's going to be cranked daily, definitely get a pair of alts. If it's only going to be cranked during comps or only sometimes for shorter durations, you should be ok with the biggest single alt you can find. And in that case, like I said before, you should be ok with 2 pos, 2 neg runs.

You have to look at where you will actually be drawing all your power from. Up front you only have your alt (single alt in this example), which you know exactly how much amperage it will kick out, and a single battery. So, from front to back, you have no more than 2 runs of 1/0ga CCA or OFC can carry traveling along that wire. In back, at the battery bank, is where your large draw potential is, because you have the amperage from the front (alt and batt) and all batts in back added together. That's where you really want some electrical beef.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

garretttt4

10+ year member
big pimpin
garretttt4
Watertown sd
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date