1/0 CCA vs 1/0 Welding Cable

sbarber82
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I have been in the market for a spool of 1/0 wire and was somewhat shocked at the price. The CCA and the Welding wire are much cheaper than 100% copper 1/0 audio wire.

My question is wether the welding wire is better than the CCA because it is all copper. I understand it is not as flexible but as far as quality it has to be better than CCA right?

welding wire is 100%copper thats what you want...CCA is fine in most installs, but if the price is similar always get the welding wire

diff. in welding cable and car audio cable. :

welding cable - 100% pure copper - true size - 1/0 will hold 600volts / 300amps

car audio cable - can be 100% copper - over sized - 1/0 will hold 250-300 amps - flexable - costs more

I won't buy the cca ever. The welding cable is half the price of the 100% Copper audio wire. Does it have any big performance discrepancies compared to the audio wire?

I won't buy the cca ever. The welding cable is half the price of the 100% Copper audio wire. Does it have any big performance discrepancies compared to the audio wire?
car audio wire has more strands per size than welding cable... more flexable... but ehhh not really sure on performance.. some only use welding some only use car audio wire... i use both... i'm going to all AT 1/0 soon when I do i'll let you know.

You can get monster cable 1/0 for cheap as fvck from audiosavings.com right now. Get the silver(clear jacket). Its tinned. Its very stout wire for the price.

If you find good welding cable go with it, it's good copper. Problem is some welding cable isn't rated to high temperatures, and the jacket might melt if it gets hot. Personally I would never use welding cable under the hood, though many do and are perfectly fine. Also, http://www.caraudio.com/forums/wiring-electrical-installation-help/537423-cca-vs-ofc-4.html
Most welding cable jacket is rated higher than ca wire because of the applications and voltage and things they are used for.. When I worked in the plants we would have 2-300 runs of welding cable ran inside towers that is a lot hotter than under the hood... remember Welding Cable is regulated for that fact, car audio wire is not.

Most welding cable jacket is rated higher than ca wire because of the applications and voltage and things they are used for.. When I worked in the plants we would have 2-300 runs of welding cable ran inside towers that is a lot hotter than under the hood... remember Welding Cable is regulated for that fact, car audio wire is not.
Uh, oh //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.