Tweeters too Bright!

The_Grimy_One
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
Ok, so long story short:

Got a great deal on these comps --> Pioneer TS-D1730C

I love the mids on this set, and as a whole they sound good for the money spent.

I am running them passive on the front channels of my Clarion 4 channel. And I would like to continue doing so.

The issue I am running into, is the tweets are far too bright even at -3 on the Xover.

Is there anything else I can do to help with this? Or would I be able to switch the tweets out for maybe a silk dome or something (but still run them on the Xovers)?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Ok, so long story short:
Got a great deal on these comps --> Pioneer TS-D1730C

I love the mids on this set, and as a whole they sound good for the money spent.

I am running them passive on the front channels of my Clarion 4 channel. And I would like to continue doing so.

The issue I am running into, is the tweets are far too bright even at -3 on the Xover.

Is there anything else I can do to help with this? Or would I be able to switch the tweets out for maybe a silk dome or something (but still run them on the Xovers)?

Thanks for any help in advance.

If the tweeters are really that harsh for you, does your head unit not have its own crossover or setting to lower the front stage / front speakers? Or I guess you theoretically could swap them out with less harsh tweets lol. Or you could get a different xover that will allow it to go down past -3.

I would put that switch back to "0" on the x-over. What type of tweets are they? Silk dome tends to have a more natural sound vs that harshness that some people dislike.

another method but more expensive is to get a good DSP and you can adjust the variables with the software and go down below -3 if needed. Also it is a good idea to stick with crossover settings on 1 device and not have crossover settings set on multiple devices. I only advised your head unit xover if they absolutely are really that harsh for you.

If they are scratchy, try to EQ the area between 2K & 5K and gently bring down the levels to resemble something like the Fletcher-Munson curve. If they are sizzling, gently reduce the 12K and above range.

Fletcher-Munson.gif

OK everyone. Sorry, didn't know I would get this much feedback this fast.

Yes the Pioneer in my sig is what I have. I believe it is a 7 band EQ (I will have to look again).

I have the tweets set to -3 on the Xovers. And I have the 12khz turned to -2. It is a huge improvement over the tweets being at 0 on the Xover. But still is a bit fatiguing when listening at high volumes.

I remember long ago I had the Infinity Kappa Perfects and had the tweets set at +3, and just thought it was cool to have loud tweets that made my ears bleed. Now I am fully committed to listening to loud music that doesn't hurt my ears. Lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.