tweeters in a-pillars

DoobieBrother
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have an `03 GMC Sierra. I setup Focal components on it. What I'm having trouble with is my tweeters. I had planned to flush them low into the a-pillar trim plastics similar to the GM trucks with stock Bose systems. Of course after cutting one, I found that there isn't enough clearance before metal for them to be flush. They stick out a bit.

I've been looking for some replacement trim pieces that have the spot for the Bose tweeter since I know it comes outward a bit, and I think it'd work. Problem is, so far I can only find them at the dealer, and GM wants like $110 each for them because they only sell them loaded with the tweets.

So, my question is how do you guys usually handle this? Do you smooth some glass around it to make it look natural, or what? And how much does that kind of thing cost?

if the tweet came with a flush mount cup which it probalbly did cut a hole and mold the flush mount cup on the pillar with some body filler sand and finish however you please

if the tweet came with a flush mount cup which it probalbly did cut a hot and mold the flush mount cup on the pillar with some body filler sand and finish however you please

or go to a gm wrecking yard and see if they have any... Or ebay... However you will need to even modify those most likely so just make your own customs... thats what im going to be doing here in a couple weeks... It isnt that hard and can be quite rewarding. There are plenty of things to read up on here and around the other car audio sites for fiberglassing information... this is a small project that can be done without matt and resign just plain kittyhair bondo will do the job... good luck with whatever route you choose to take.

I have the flush mount cup mounted in the tops of my door panel and there is a VERY small gap from where the curve of my door panel does not match with the flcuh mount cup that is flat. If I use the body filler to fill it in what would I use to Paint it or should it even be painted?

You could try heating the edge of the tweeter cup and bending it to contour to the shape of the panel. Worked for me a couple times.

ive tried finding them on ebay forever, just isnt happening lol ive seen one and it sold for 13 shipped and they didnt have the other.....Dealer will end up being easiest maybe a salvage yard

There is enough room there you may just have to work a little bit on placement. I"m attaching a picture of my tweeter in my A-pillar there is some glass work done and it has been wrapped in factory headliner material. I'm sorry I don't have a better picture, I will try and get one and post it here for you. The area around the tweeter was built up slightly with fiberglass and smoothed to transition smoothly into the a-pillar. You don't need to make it perfect if you decide to wrap it.

PICT5229.jpg

There's a pretty decent how-to article on mounting tweeter cups and blending them into the a-pillars in the latest issue of CA&E. Might be a good reference point for you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.