Tweeter protection

Participant count
  • Participant list

Intercooler
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Maryland
After my first car audio failure today (blown tweets), my audio shop suggested basically this from the description I got from him:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=071-254

Supposedly keeps you from blowing tweeters (I hope!). Just wonder if it will play normal until the point it opens? Also wondering if these things have different ratings for different setups?

The other suggestion was a light bulb but I think for that the door panel would have to be removed everytime you really blew one. I can't find anything on this piece.

Anyone using one of these or have suggestions?

I guess nobody on here is employing any kind of protection //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

i think that pretty much limits an amount of power going through. so if you plan on using that, why not just control the volume knob as to not produce a certain amount of power?

My protection!

Anyways...you shouldn't need to rely on any sort of protection to keep your tweeters from blowing. The best protection is to figure out why they blew, and not do that same thing again.

I've never used those polyswitches....but I've used numerous sets that use the lightbulbs. The bulbs don't "blow" (if they do, you seriously fucked up)...at a certain power level they begin to glow, increasing resistance and decreasing the amount of power going to the tweeter. There is actually another thread on this exact subject...titled "Type X Crossovers"

Like the others said, there's something wrong if you're blowing tweeters. Check your filters or your volume knob. Not high-passing your tweeters can destroy them even with very little power.

It must be something associated with people running power or some of this stuff wouldn't exist or people using it in competition. In my case I think the gain can be set down a little and some tuning but I still want it added to protect me from something I can't see.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.