turning up the HU volume.....

Participant count
  • Participant list

Beatin'
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MI
Is it linear? How does it exactly work?

For example, let's say you tune your subs to 30/50 on your HU. Your amp can do 300wrms at 30/50. Does this mean that at 15/50 you'd be doing 150wrms?

Is it linear? How does it exactly work?
For example' date=' let's say you tune your subs to 30/50 on your HU. Your amp can do 300wrms at 30/50. Does this mean that at 15/50 you'd be doing 150wrms?[/quote']

no clue, way to find out would be to check rca output voltage at each volume notch

There's an easy way to figure it out using an SPL meter. You're supposed to get a doubling of power at every 3db rise in volume. Could just use a DMM and SPL meter to graph it out.

There's an easy way to figure it out using an SPL meter. You're supposed to get a doubling of power at every 3db rise in volume. Could just use a DMM and SPL meter to graph it out.

I have a feeling that on the lower end of the HU volume control, the clicks needed are greater than the higher end due to the logarithmic nature of wattage/decibels.

Could this mean that in reality, 150wrms could be in the high 20's?

A volume control is (or should be) logarithmic because of the way the human ear perceives changes in SPL. At low volume we hear small changes, but the louder it gets the more change is needed for us to hear a difference.

So to answer your question, 1/2 volume is way less than 1/2 power, and without knowing the HU implementation of the volume curve you can't really predict it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.