Tuning my amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

ALDJ253

I just installed a JL 500/1 that I got off of the classifieds here. I used my phone with a tone generator for the signal to tune the amp. However, my DMM was reading 53V with the gain all the way down (Should be aiming for around 44V). I currently have it set to High-Level input, because my connections are through my rear deck speaker wires, soldered to RCAs. I am also using the signal sensing feature. Should I borrow a friend's DMM and see what theirs reads? Should I use a 50 Hz tone on a cd rather than the Aux cord attachment I have installed in my car?

just use music and tune by heat and loudness. If it stops getting loud, back it off. Do 5 minute and 10 minute stress tests. if its hot at the subs or amp, lower it down, if its cold, you can bump it up. if its room temperature to slightly warm, you are good.

Tone generators are useless because they are at 0 db. most music is within -10 to -5 db rebassed music is -5 to -1 db. Using a 0 db test tone will make you set gains soo low that you are WAAAY undergained.

just use music and tune by heat and loudness. If it stops getting loud, back it off. Do 5 minute and 10 minute stress tests. if its hot at the subs or amp, lower it down, if its cold, you can bump it up. if its room temperature to slightly warm, you are good.
Tone generators are useless because they are at 0 db. most music is within -10 to -5 db rebassed music is -5 to -1 db. Using a 0 db test tone will make you set gains soo low that you are WAAAY undergained.
Okay, sounds good, thanks! Also, the signal sensing is attached to my stock low-frequency speaker wires. So it turns on once the first bass note hits, which is after a couple of seconds. It is a bit annoying right now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ALDJ253

ALDJ253
Tacoma, WA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
ALDJ253