Tuning gain without scope

Got a Sundown SA-12 coming in a few days. Will be running it in prefab box until I get one built.

I was looking at how to adjust gain with a dmm but from what I'm seeing its not a good way to do it because it will only work to whatever frequency you tune it to. I'm going to call a local car audio shop and see if they have a scope to setup my amp but if not I was wondering if any of you have had good luck with the smaller handheld ones. I also found a few android apps but not a lot of reviews or info on them.

Want to add I'm in West Michigan and would be willing to pay someone to tune my setup for me if possible.

I see a few guys around here rent out their smd dd1's. Maybe another option?
I ended up getting the DSO. I was checking out the DD1 but a lot seemed to criticized it because it just uses a flashing light rather than actually being able to see the wave itself.

guy at a local shop does it by ear for $40...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/greedy.gif.5a53e6246569d7ab79867170f3b06629.gif

guy at a local shop does it by ear for $40...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/greedy.gif.5a53e6246569d7ab79867170f3b06629.gif
Thats outrageous. I guess $70 for the DSO wasn't so bad.

I have a question about tuning the head unit. From what I've seen on youtube you turn up the volume until the waves get boxy looking at the peak and that will indicate clipping. I've seen people do it this way but while having a CD playing. I never use my CD player as I have all my music on my phone. To tune the head unit do I need to turn up the volume on my phone to what I usually listen to it at and then turn up the HU volume til it starts to clip??

My HU also had a setting for sub control to add more bass. Will raising this bass with this setting after the HU has already been scoped cause it to clip at lower volume?

U can use ur phone too. Make sure u unplug ur speakers from amp
And transfer these files to ur phone

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzWKkm1vb13uMF9JWjRMS1F0OUk&usp=drive_web
Ok I downloaded those. Looks like the scope isn't coming til Monday //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

When setting the HU up. Does my phone volume have to be at the same spot as I plan on playing the music at? I imagine having the volume low and raising it after Im done scoping it will make the clipping start at a different power level right?

It doesn't matter whether you use a DMM, a scope or a DD-1... you set the gain with a sine wave. For bass amps, the norm is a 40 hz tone and for mid/high amps it's a 1000 hz tone. If you have your sub box tuned particularly high , you might want to set the gain using a 50 hz tone but for the majority of car audio systems, 40 & 1000 are the best.

As for setting with a DMM... you can get pretty close if you have a true RMS meter, good electrical and an amp with accurate published RMS output.

As the DD-1 goes, there are myriad people who have tested it in real environments against a scope and it detects 1% distortion at so close to the exact same time that a good scope does that our slow assed human eyes and brains can't tell which one went off first. In short.. it has been tested against many benchmarks and it does what it says it does. And... when you use a scope, you're only looking at one frequency, so there is no difference with a scope or the DD-1 and of course you'll get a different level of clipping with a different frequency. That's called physics and again, if you're worried about it, make sure you set the gains at the frequency you will be taxing your amp(s) at the most. Same goes for a scope, a DMM or a guy who claims to have super human hearing.

With regard to the phone or whatever source you plan to use the most, set it and the bass/treble on it at whatever setting you plan to use the most and use those settings when you set the gains. And if you plan to use bass boost on the amp(s), set it before you set the gain.

As for the files you use, if you want the best protection against clipping, use file that are recorded at full level. The downside will be that when you play sources that are recorded at lower levels, you won't be able to boost them much. If you want SPL and aren't concerned with a bit of clipping, set the gains with files that are -3-5db down. That will allow you to boost poor recordings but will also introduce clipping on flat recordings at full volume.

And one last thing... if you don't have a DD-1 or a scope, set the volume level of your head unit at no more than 80% of max when setting amp gains. Either that or Google your head unit for "max volume before clipping". Also... I have an Alpine head unit that clips at 29 of 35. However, I also have a sound processor and when it's active, I have no clipping at 35. So if you have a processor, you're likely to be able to set the volume at max, assuming you haven't boosted the settings on it.

Hope that helps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

platinumjason
West Michigan
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
bbeljefe
1000008028.jpg