Tuning Advice

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jdog89

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have one kicker comp 12 SVC in a sealed box win an amp running 200 rms to it. 

My question is how to tune it properly?

I don’t know the box tuning specs it was jus given to me. 

I’d like to think I know a lot about car audio, and I’ve read a lot of forums, it sounds “pretty good” but I feel like I can get more out of it or tune it better. 

My head unit has a HPF setting and no LPF setting. There’s a HPF and a LPF and OFF setting on amp. A dial for crossover, gain dial, 6db and 12db bass boost. I got gain at between a quarter and a half cuz it wasn’t sounding good passed that. Crossover set to HPF and about 100hz. Speaker ran parallel @4ohms

I tried tuning it with the LPF setting on the amp and I couldn’t really get any significant output from it which im confused about. So I’m running it with the HPF setting on amp and the HPF on my head unit. Head unit setting at 50hz for HPF, 100hz HPF on amp HPF. I have 2 subwoofer setting on head unit one set to 100hz+3db and HPF on 50hz I have reverse polarity on and 6db boost from amp. Like I said it sounds pretty good but maybe I’m doing a few things wrong. It’s installed in a Subaru hatch back. I tried HPF off on both amp and head unit and tried tuning with LPF on amp but I couldn’t get anything.  Mids sound fine. 

A sealed box isn't tuned. It is what it is. Ported boxes can have the port turned, but that wouldn't apply to your situation.

You're also not putting much power to it (nor should you, if the one I just looked at was the same as yours, rated 150W RMS), so you're not going to get a ton of volume out of it.

A sealed box isn't tuned. It is what it is. Ported boxes can have the port turned, but that wouldn't apply to your situation.
This isnt totally correct.

While a sealed box isnt typically tunable on the fly like some ported designs. They can be tuned much the same way a ported box can be.

Typically tuning a sealed box only requires adjusting the air space of the enclosure.

The smaller the box the higher the air spring effect and thus the higher the peak frequency.

A larger box is just the opposite. It provides less air sping effect resulting in a lower peak frequency.

This box adjustment has a similar effect on power handling. Larger boxes will typically be lower on the power handling due to more of the cone control relying on the subs suspension up until the enclosure is so large it actually acts like an infinite baffle design.

On smaller enclosures you typically wont see power handling issues until you exceed the thermal  capabilities of the coil and motor design, since the subs suspension is supplemented by the air spring effect

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.