Trying to put together a "Quick Fix" system, Recommendations?

JTriz631
10+ year member

Had my G35 coupe for a few months now... I've ditched the Bose headunit but the speakers dont provide enough clarity OR bass. So time to replace all those and add a woofer.

Originally I wanted to go for a W6, recommendations on this site have convinced me I can get better for my money... and I will but for now I want to put together a simple sub stage that gives me decent SPL- without putting SQ at too much of a risk. a Single sub probably in a sealed enclosure.

My head unit is Pioneer AVH-P8400BH

I want to spend less than $200 on a sub that will match up with an amp I already have. I have two amps. A kicker ZX400.1 (449 watts RMS @ 2ohm) and an MTX Thunder 942 (700 watts Bridged into 4 ohms).

Right now the woofers Im looking at are Kicker CVR, Infinity Kappa Perfect, Alpine Type R or JL 12W3. I'd like to stick with the CVR because it matches the kicker amp perfectly and is only $75. How much better subs are the Kappa Perfect($200), Type R ($150) and W3($180)?

Whichever sub I choose is going to be thrown in a 1.2cube sealed enclosure I previously had a CVR in for now... and probably have an enclosure built next month if Im not pleased with the sound of the new woofer in my old enclosure in my G.

If you're gonna come in here and recommend an obscure brand that only you car audio enthusiasts know about thats fine, just link me to somewhere I can get that sub delivered to VA in the next week... if there is a 21 day build time or anything of that nature Im not interested. I want to have this equipment installed this time next week! Like I said this is a quick fix!

Im very interested in Sundown, DC and Incriminator audio (seem to be the biggest recommendations around here) but I want to make sure I have proper funds (power/wiring/enclosure) because once I figure out what I really want Ill probably be having a fiberglass enclosure built.

And even if you hate all mainstream car audio... out of the wooofers I listed which do you all prefer? (My guess W3 > Kappa Perfect > Type R > CVR?)

Thanks in advance guys!

Super cheap build: Audiopipe APSM line + VVME sub

Medium cheap build: Audiopipe AP line + Sundown SA sub

Expensive build: Sundown amps + SSA sub

Just my opinions.

Super cheap build: Audiopipe APSM line + VVME subMedium cheap build: Audiopipe AP line + Sundown SA sub

Expensive build: Sundown amps + SSA sub

Just my opinions.
Aren't those those eBay subs?

With a smaller budget I would suggest the Type R actually. Very nice sub for the price and can perform very very well.
I see the type R has an RMS rating between 300-1000 watts. So if I want to use the kicker ZX400.1 to power the woofer then I want to buy it in Dual 4 Ohm correct?

If I were to want to use the MTX amp to power it instead of the kicker amp what ohm configuration would I need to buy to maximize its potential?

I would check out American Bass XO.
You can get them for about $60
I like this idea... I see they only come in dual 4 ohm configurations. Can I use my MTX 942 (700 watts bridged at 4 ohms) to power two of them? How much air space do they need?

I haven't heard it, but I hold newer Alpine subs in high regard because of the things Jim Walter (Alpine engineer) was posting about them on DIYMA forum. We can't deny that alpine subs have been improving by leaps and bounds recently. I also saw an independent test of R12 showing two things: measured and published T/S parameters are pretty much spot on and very low distortion. The box is probably perfect for it. Measured sensitivity: about 85-86dB 1w/1meter. I guess, the more power you have the better. I would recommend to get a dual 4ohm version, which can be wired for 2ohm impedance, so that if you buy a higher power mono amplifier in future, you could take a full advantage of it.

Another interesting option is to try the Dayton Reference HO12 4ohm SVC subwoofer with your bridged amp. These subwoofers have a reputation for tight accurate sound, but they don't get very loud due to 12-13mm xmax and so-so sensitivity.

I haven't heard it, but I hold newer Alpine subs in high regard because of the things Jim Walter (Alpine engineer) was posting about them on DIYMA forum. We can't deny that alpine subs have been improving by leaps and bounds recently. I also saw an independent test of R12 showing two things: measured and published T/S parameters are pretty much spot on and very low distortion. The box is probably perfect for it. Measured sensitivity: about 85-86dB 1w/1meter. I guess, the more power you have the better. I would recommend to get a dual 4ohm version, which can be wired for 2ohm impedance, so that if you buy a higher power mono amplifier in future, you could take a full advantage of it.
Another interesting option is to try the Dayton Reference HO12 4ohm SVC subwoofer with your bridged amp. These subwoofers have a reputation for tight accurate sound, but they don't get very loud due to 12-13mm xmax and so-so sensitivity.
Link to type R posts?

Aren't those those eBay subs?I like this idea... I see they only come in dual 4 ohm configurations. Can I use my MTX 942 (700 watts bridged at 4 ohms) to power two of them? How much air space do they need?

I wouldn't see why not, that'd be giving them exactly what they're rated. Hell, you might even be able to give them 500rms each.

Quick Trip to my local car audio store this morning, I told him what I was wanting a type r and he told me he didn't have any in stock. I gave him the same information I gave you all in this thread. He's recommending a rockford p3. With wiring, enclosure and amp installation he told me I'm looking at about $480 to get installed today/tomorrow. Listened to it in store and i did like the way It sounded in store in the ported box. Opinions?

I wouldn't see why not, that'd be giving them exactly what they're rated. Hell, you might even be able to give them 500rms each.
I was asking which configuration I would need to buy them in order to use them with my mtx 942 amplifier

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.