Trying to find Head end spec's for the delco radio OEM Ponitac Sunfire 03

Participant count
  • Participant list

bssage

Iowa
Here is the deal.

My kids first car and he wants to improve the stereo (of course). The thing is the car may, on a good day, be worth $1200. So obviously I am not a fan of plunkin down 5 or 6 bills. It seems as if I could get away with replacing the speakers.

I'm trying to find the specs for the HEU to determine how much Bam! I can get away with and not waste money on under/overpower speakers.

I doubt he will keep this particular car for more than a year anyway. So it's not like any serious investment would be "Value Added".

Thanks in advance

Bryan

Bryan,

Those Delco radios ought to go into the trash, especially on a 10+ year old vehicle. The power specs are the least of your problems as the signal quality is generally quite poor compared to a modern aftermarket radio.

Don't put a lot of thought into speaker power ratings and over/underpowering them. Many companies put a ridiculously large wattage rating on the box. You're focused on minor upgrades on a small budget for an expendable car. A $69.99 digital media player radio from a reputable brand such as Pioneer would give a noticeable improvement to the overall sound, assuming none of the original speakers are blown.

If you want to just change the speakers to see how it works out on the Delco radio, look for an impedance rating of 4 ohms.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.