Trying to design Substage for Small concert Stage

Participant count
  • Participant list

twisztdauthorit
10+ year member

-db-
Ok so my dad owns a restaurant that is known for having lots of concerts; punk, indie, hip-hop occasionally and some hardcore etc.

We have a basement stage and an upper stage.

Were trying to gather our own equipment and i offered to help construct some speaker boxes etc.

Anyways my plan is to build a box(or seperate boxes) for 2x 18's.

I would like to go with a folded horn design unless someone has a better suggestion.

Budget : cheaper the better but id like to try to keep it around 200$ or less per speaker.

Can anyone post any links or head me in the right direction to get started on this project?

ps. Id also like to clear something up.

some coon tried to tell me that CarAudio subwoofers are far different than PA subwoofers and that a 3000 watt PA subwoofer is like a 6000 watt CA subwoofer. I argued till death but can someone enlighten me if im wrong?

He tried to explain that the suspension on the PA subs are alot stiffer and all that bs.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

ps. Id also like to clear something up.some coon tried to tell me that CarAudio subwoofers are far different than PA subwoofers and that a 3000 watt PA subwoofer is like a 6000 watt CA subwoofer. I argued till death but can someone enlighten me if im wrong?

He tried to explain that the suspension on the PA subs are alot stiffer and all that bs.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif
yes home audio and car audio have different specs. and also the boxes are much different with the tunning freq. and such

He was wrong to say a 3000watt PA subwoofer is like a 6000watt CA subwoofer.

yes home audio and car audio have different specs. and also the boxes are much different with the tunning freq. and such

He was wrong to say a 3000watt PA subwoofer is like a 6000watt CA subwoofer.

I know tuning is far differnt as HT Likes lower tuning.

Im just trying to find out what type of equipment i should run and what type of tunning.

The box building is what im good at, not the designing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

A Decware Imperial Horn or two should be all the subbass you need //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Be careful in lumping all 120VAC applications together. Home audio can be very different than home theater, and concert sound is in an entirely different category as well...

Just so you guys can get an idea of what size building im talking about

the dimensions of the upper concert area are 14 ft wide by 50 ft long,

the lower concert area is 25 ft wide and about 25 ft long on one side + 60 ft long on the other half

bump.

Came up with another idea,

T-line the mj-18m. (2 of them if it works out good)

Im not sure how the t-line would handle the upper frequencies if tunned to 24hz(fs of 24) but How do you guys think it would sound?

Ive built one before for 1x10" and it handled superbly over its prefab ported box.

It would lower the power handling requirements which is a good thing in my case.

I think it would be a fun project. if it doesnt work out for the concert stage, im sure it would make a fun HT setup?

Regarding the folded horn designs, there unique looking boxes that would be an adventure to build but i heard they dont perform well around certain frequencies and that a plain ported box performs better for certain applications.

I had a pa speaker in my car for a bit. then got a real car audio speaker.

here are pix of both together.

PICT0004_edited-1.jpg

PICT0005_edited-1.jpg

PICT0006_edited-1.jpg

PICT0007_edited-1.jpg

the pa speaker is a 18" JBL model # 2043G = 400w rms power = stupid sick loud on that power level

car audio sub = re sx 18 = 1000w rms power = way more x max than pa sub. like 15mm more

resulting in harder hitting deep in your chest bass.

as the pa speaker played all the notes verry acurately and clean - it lacked the in depth punch that you feel deep in your chest bass vibrations from. - the re sx 18 nails them tho.

musicly - the pa speaker is way cleaner / like hands down no contest.

A Decware Imperial Horn or two should be all the subbass you need //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Be careful in lumping all 120VAC applications together. Home audio can be very different than home theater, and concert sound is in an entirely different category as well...
funny you mention Decware -

ive been a member there for ever now.

have built their death box 12" and 10" - amazing little design there.

always wanted to build the "house wrecker" box for a good single 15"

So many designs that i could go with... argh.

If i had enough money i would try all of em //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Im really tempted to do a t-line with an 18 now. From my calculations i t would turn out to around 17-20 ft^3 though and that's quit a large sob.

Whichever way i go, if i get good results, the box will be fixed up with some truck bed liner, speaker grill of some sort, and some casters on the bottom to get her around.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.