trunk latch?

munky223
10+ year member

well ive had problems with trunk rattling recently. someone told me to buy dynamat so i got some. it helped but i wasn't really happy with the results for what i payed. someone else told me i should get the latch on the trunk fixed. im really low on cash and i was wondering if it was possible to do it myself. if you know how id like to know. and if i cant do it myself i was wondering if you could tell me where i could get it fixed for fairly cheap. thanks.

is it a hatch back or basic trunk style, if its a hatch back then you need to invest in some spray on deadner ( your car audio dealer will know what to use). if its a standard trunk make sure that the spare tire bolts are tight and check your tail lights for loosness you might also look to see if there are anything else that you might have dropped into the spare tire well. ie...rocks(dont ask but they somehow find there way in there!) tools, ect...ect...

those are just some things to look for. by the way the spare tire cover, is it still the origonal piece of crap thin paper board cover?? if so then try replacing it with a hard plywood. thats what was rattling in my trunk!!!

If your license plate rattles, try this. Take a large piece of 2 sided tape andfold it up and put one piece on either side of your plate on the bottom, or opposite the screws. I did it and it helped a lot. I had 4 15" subs in the back of a '92 Thunderchicken. No more rattle for me, even though it took a lot of tape for my plate.

If you still suspect it's the trunk latch that's rattling try this:

Go get some really thick lube from your local autoparts store, put a good gob of it on the latch and close up the trunk. If it was the latch, I'll guarantee that the rattle will stop (I've tried/done this before and it worked for me)..

If rattling persists, than other methods will have to be taken but as far as latch rattle goes, thats your cure

-2xa

P.S

Watch out when you open and close that trunk.. the grease has a way of finding itself onto you and everything you touch.. :/

take your hatch apart and poke/wiggle things around. Get some more dynamat and throw it over and problem areas and/or find alternate solutions if you feel like being cheap

ie) duct tape.

I still had rattles after i brown breaded my liscense plate.. but I had a whole bunch of it left over.. so I did exactly that, and I dont have any trunk noise anymore.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.