trouble with getting system setup?!?

jdub2415

i jus recently traded my old system and got a new one setup and after getting it all hooked up, the subwoofer barely hit. i have an MA Audio hk2000d hooked up to an Orion HCCA 12 inch sub (bought from a friend and it pounded) and the amp is definitely capable of pushing a sub that big because i got the amp from a guy who had a FI 15 inch subwoofer. when i took my old system out tho my ground wire and power wire touched and there was a little spark. so im wondering if that is the problem because everything was fine before i took it all out. i even checked the fuse hooked up to the battery and it was perfectly fine. i took my headunit out also to see if the rca's were unhooked or anything because i tugged them a lil when i took my old amp out, but they were all hooked up. so if someone could PLEASE help me out that'd be greatly appreciated.

ya i got the amp from a guy who had a 15 and he showed me the amp and how it hit and it was perfect for the sub. when i turned the volume up you could feel a little bit of movement from the sub, but not anything special like what it would normally hit like

its wired to 2 ohm, and im using 4gauge wiring. the sub and amp most definitely work because the guys that i got each from showed me their systems and they both pounded. i jus cant really think of what the problem is?!?!

its wired to 2 ohm, and im using 4gauge wiring. the sub and amp most definitely work because the guys that i got each from showed me their systems and they both pounded. i jus cant really think of what the problem is?!?!
Make sure you're not out of phase like mentioned. Just because the amp/sub were fine when you bought them doesn't mean they're still fine. I can think of multiple ways that a bad install can cause an amp or sub to get damaged almost immediately when power is applied. That hole ground wire/power wire contact you mentioned in the OP can easily be the cause.

No. If the power and ground really caused a problem, new wires aint gonna help. Somebody has to go inside that amp for possible repair.

ok so i really dont need to get anything new then? and jus get the amp looked at? once i get it fixed wont it jus damage the amp even more with the same wires?
The wires aren't damaged. That's why we have fuses, to protect the wire. Assuming your equipment is compatible and the wires are hooked up correctly, you won't have any more issues.

yeah the fact that your getting any sound @ all tells me the amp may be okay. You wires are wires, copper wrapped in rubber. they don't just go bad.

i would check your gain see if it turned up, then check your input sensitivity (if amp is equipped with that adjustment or switch), i would check your phase adjustment(if equipped). lastly i would check my rca cable to see if they r okay.

do all this before bringing in your amp for repair, my instincts tell me if amp was dead shorted like described(and it actually fried it) your amp would at least show protect light if not blow fuses as soon as fuses were replaced.

I think your amp is fine, just check your adjustments.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.