Too much muffled bass

Participant count
  • Participants list

Wubwub176

Recently I just had a kicker 12" DVC CompR with a kicker dx series 1200w amp installed. The problem I'm having is the I listen to a good bit of rock/metal and the "kick" or "thump" sound of the bass drum is really muffled and hard to distinguish. I've spoke to a few people and they said that the muffled noise comes from the seats but even with the seats down, the response still isn't quite that great. Other music with lots of bass like rap or dub step sounds good, lots of bass. I don't know if it's the brand, woofer, amp, box or if all 4 are the problem. I own a 2015 VW Jetta and there is like 15 cubic feet of room in the trunk. Help?!

Recently I just had a kicker 12" DVC CompR with a kicker dx series 1200w amp installed. The problem I'm having is the I listen to a good bit of rock/metal and the "kick" or "thump" sound of the bass drum is really muffled and hard to distinguish. I've spoke to a few people and they said that the muffled noise comes from the seats but even with the seats down, the response still isn't quite that great. Other music with lots of bass like rap or dub step sounds good, lots of bass. I don't know if it's the brand, woofer, amp, box or if all 4 are the problem. I own a 2015 VW Jetta and there is like 15 cubic feet of room in the trunk. Help?!
Its most likely the enclosure the subwoofer is in. If you just bought some random pre made box, it'll generally sound like sh*t. Upload a picture of your setup on IMGUR.com and on the left side there's BB code for forum images on the right side, copy that link and post on here.

Its most likely the enclosure the subwoofer is in. If you just bought some random pre made box, it'll generally sound like sh*t. Upload a picture of your setup on IMGUR.com and on the left side there's BB code for forum images on the right side, copy that link and post on here.
It's a 1.2 cubic foot box that I got from best buy. It's just a general box, would getting an actual kicker box be the right way to go? I was planning on buying one but I'm a little tight on cash right now. I'm gonna look up some boxes now, unfortunately I don't have any pics of my system and its raining right now so I'll upload one at a later time

It's a 1.2 cubic foot box that I got from best buy. It's just a general box, would getting an actual kicker box be the right way to go? I was planning on buying one but I'm a little tight on cash right now. I'm gonna look up some boxes now, unfortunately I don't have any pics of my system and its raining right now so I'll upload one at a later time
Rear fire your sub ...set the subsonic on the amp at 20hz....turn bass boost on amp to 0....set gain at half...set the amp crossover at 85hz... On your deck...make sure sub crossover is set on bypass on or through You dont want to run 2 crossover before the sub...Do this and listen to it and let us know how it sounds ...

It's a DX series, it has gain, crossover and boost. That's it. It also has a low or hi Input button

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

It's a sealed box but I do have a ported one

Rear fire your sub ...set the subsonic on the amp at 20hz....turn bass boost on amp to 0....set gain at half...set the amp crossover at 85hz... On your deck...make sure sub crossover is set on bypass on or through You dont want to run 2 crossover before the sub...Do this and listen to it and let us know how it sounds ...
It only has gain, crossover and boost. It has a hi or low input button

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Yeah, I'm guessing it's a prefab ported box, which is junk.
It's a 1.2 cubic foot sealed box. I have a ported one but it doesn't sound any better

It's a 1.2 cubic foot sealed box. I have a ported one but it doesn't sound any better
Then I'm surprised. Are the walls super thin and is it flimsy? Not a whole lot you can mess up with a sealed box. The ported prefabs are notoriously awful, which is why I assumed that's what the problem was.

Try loading the subs off of different sides

It only has gain, crossover and boost. It has a hi or low input button 

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Set those 3 like I said then...Subsonic only helps reduce really low end unaudible sounds and helps ported box subs from bottoming out ...make sure your not using a crossover in your deck ...ifv so the sound is filtered before it ever hits the amps...in some Pioneers you can only turn the sub on or off..I go through the rear RCA's on those...

Set those 3 like I said then...Subsonic only helps reduce really low end unaudible sounds and helps ported box subs from bottoming out ...make sure your not using a crossover in your deck ...ifv so the sound is filtered before it ever hits the amps...in some Pioneers you can only turn the sub on or off..I go through the rear RCA's on those...
Give me a second I'm loading pictures and will tell you exactly what's everything is at on the head unit

Then I'm surprised. Are the walls super thin and is it flimsy? Not a whole lot you can mess up with a sealed box. The ported prefabs are notoriously awful, which is why I assumed that's what the problem was.
Try loading the subs off of different sides
It's 1/2" MDF with a fiber wrap on the outside. It's rear facing and its on the driver side

Give me a second I'm loading pictures and will tell you exactly what's everything is at on the head unit
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Sub control is 100hz +1 -12

Sub is obviously on

HPF setting is 100hz

Bass boost is 0

EQ is powerful

SLA is +2

Balance and fader are both 0, untouched

I had an additive audio version 4 12" and I kind of learned some stuff with that but I'm still new to car audio and audio in general. I know the basics and some trouble shooting but not much beyond that

No those kicker boxes are not good either. Either build your own or have someone build it for you. Whats your crossovers on the amp and head unit set to?

No those kicker boxes are not good either. Either build your own or have someone build it for you. Whats your crossovers on the amp and head unit set to?
Sealed 1/2" fiberglass wrapped. The crossover on the amp is 200 and the head unit High pass filter is 100hz

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.