Too big of an enclosure?

ace_800
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Ok so I'm currently running a 03 12" quad 1.4 RE XXX in an enclosure thats about 4.98^34htz that was designed by someone here. Its great for daily, just don't put up numbers that I should be I believe. I've got it on an Exile 2400.1 thats 2400+@1, 1600@2 depending on whatever the rise is.

However I've seen that RE recommended that it be in a box thats 1.7@32 or 2.2@34 and I've been told to tune higher, around 48-50htz. So what should I realistically be built to?

I'm no expert, but I believe RE specs are very small for what actually works well in a vehicle. That being said, your box does seem pretty big for a single 12

Ask the guys you talk crap about that are local to you?Why would you tune it to 48-50hz?
What you talkin, local to me? The douche that believes you can wire 2 D2's to 1 ohm? LOL

Just what I heard to put up numbers, one guy in a Scion XB with 2 SA12's off a RF that does 750 put up 142 and was tuned to 48 I believe.

Are you going for just numbers? If so I would try out a different 12 in around 2-2.25ft3 tuned to work with the car's peak.

If you are just wanting "loud" while musical then I would adjust the volume down to around 2ft3 with a generous amount of port area and tuning based on the music you listen to and how it will load in the application.

Are you going for just numbers? If so I would try out a different 12 in around 2-2.25ft3 tuned to work with the car's peak.
If you are just wanting "loud" while musical then I would adjust the volume down to around 2ft3 with a generous amount of port area and tuning based on the music you listen to and how it will load in the application.
Well based off the Custom type X I was running a few months ago my cars peak is 34. I was going for SQL and was told this box was designed to do so. I just figured I would put up better numbers as well. Though looking at the recommended volume, I'm not so sure now.

I wouldn't mind having a 2nd box that could put up better numbers with this sub or one that can do better numbers and sound well doing so. I know it can take power, just looking for the right volume/tuning to do so.

Why are you trying to use a XXX to hit numbers? I would do a box around 2.5 tuned to 28-32 if that were my sub. But the RE XXX isn't the greatest woofer to meter.
Just what sub I'm running atm. I understand its not the greatest, but seeing as it can take a good amount of power I should be over 135 fairly easily with the amount of power I'm sending it.

Here is the design

ScreenShot2012-10-13at102648PM.png

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.