Ton of water soaking carpet? no idea where its coming from..

Could be many things like a drain plug under the car. I had that happen ones soaked the carpet. Be more specific back passenger side footwell? Seat? Area around the window?

If you have a sunroof it will surely have two drain hoses hidden behind trunk carpeting. It could be clogged or accidentally pulled out from the drain hole on the floor going to the outside. If you look behind the rear fender liner, a hose or a rubber pinch cap would protrude from the floor. That's if you have a sunroof because it should drain out at it's 4 corners with a catch pipe/tube.

I do have a moonroof. After pulling up carpet. Its front to back passenger side that is wet. back is worse though.

Pulled up trunk carpet. Found black drainage plug. Had an inch or so of water in the lil area. No place or hole in sight for it to actually drain too though which is weird. Just drains into big metal area??

Big rubber plugs in frame seems to be good and intact.

steps to finding the problem are as follows:

1. pull the trunk carpet and all trunk panels - down to bare metal

2. dry trunk (towels, air, fans, etc.)

3. lay dry towels down on trunk floor

4. use a hose to soak the sunroof only, keeping water off the trunk lid. check towels.

5. use a hose to soak the trunk seams, check towels, etc.

6. test other areas as well.

the purpose of the dry towels is to know the path of the water and trace the origin. sunroof drain channels/tubes are common water sources. trunk seals can fail as well. a grommet or two missing on the floor or between the trunk and rear bumper can cause water ingress. that's the reason for cleaning, drying, and testing.

Check behind/around the rear brake light area right next to the fender well body area, like hidden side pockets. The plugs might look closed but poke your finger through it and see if it goes through, if it does, thats the plug you're looking for. I'm not a Toyota guy but those are common areas to look for.

My Camry did something like this and it was something related to the air conditioner. The tube that drains off condensed water was clogged and it flooded out under the carpets. The issue was somewhere up front but the water all collected under the rear seats and on the floor in the back.

A decent Toyota mechanic should know what it is and be able to unclog the tube with a coat hanger in like 4 minutes.

Well, Stripped to metal. Dried everything. Ran hose over car. Found that the black hose i took a picture of was filling trunk full of water. That i knew, but somehow it was draining into back passenger seat. I have no idea how, i still dont see how the water is getting there. So i popped out a rubber plug in the trunk , poured a lil water down that hole. it drains out under fender. rerouted/siliconed the hose into that hole. We shall see if i have any problems from here on.

Ill update but thanks for everyones help!!

Nice well done Sir glad you seem to be headed in the right direction. SO the black hose in the first picture was a drain hose for something? Was that6 for the moonroof?

yea i think it was for the moonroof. I think the back passenger side is getting flooded from a leaky door seal but i found a front leak thats coming when i run water down the cowls and i have NO IDEA how to go about trying to fix that.

Every liquid in quantities will somehow end up *** side of the car due to momentum when accelerating. So it's a good idea to check for AC drain up front passenger side. I hate to be in a car smelling like worn socks, VW's do that even without a leak caused by the AC condensation.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.