To Underpower or Overpower?

Miller
10+ year member

$
I have 2 12" SE's (600 RMS). I can either give them each 500 watts(Hifonics BX1000D) or I can give them 750 watts each (Hifonics BX1500D). Which do you think would be better? This will be in a 3.3 cubic foot box ported to 35 Hz.

Hifonics BX1000D or BX1500D??

Less if you are putting them in a big ported box. More if its gonna go in a same sealed box. Less won't hurt more will.

Ya, I think I am going to go with the smaller amp. 1000 watts to two SE's in a 3.3 cubic box ported should be enough....right? I dont want to give them to much power and blow them, that would ****. Anyone else have opinion?

Personally i would just go with the bx1000D, but that is because I do not see a reason for having more than a thousand watts in a dailey driver, I think they will get plenty loud with that amp. On the other hand if you ever look to expanding or upgrading your system, it may be nice to have the bigger of the two amps...and the subs will take it so it's up to you. If there is not a big price difference between the amps, you will have more flexibility with the bx1500D, so your call....it will pound on either

go for the bx1000D, it will be better, and u wont have to worry bout clipppin w the 1500d

n u save money too:p

Originally posted by Matador go for the bx1000D, it will be better, and u wont have to worry bout clipppin w the 1500d

n u save money too:p
if he would get the 1000d then he would more then likely overdrive the amp...and clip the signal (trying to turn the volume up higher then it needs to go..to attempt to get it louder but it's not going to happen)

i say pop for the 1500

the amp doesnt clip, it's the signal that is clipped and then amplified that starts the chain reaction //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

ya, its a tough decision. It would be nice to have the flexability to upgrade but I dont think I ever will. I really dont want to hurt the subs though, so I'm not sure. It wont hurt the amp that its only 1000 watts and the SE's can handle 1200 together will it. I am leaning towards the BX1000D mostly because its in a ported box, and I know if its in ported you want to go lower then if it is in a sealed.

(With clipping on topic, my friends subs start making popping noises if he turns it up to loud. Is that clipping or something else?)

Originally posted by Miller ya, its a tough decision. It would be nice to have the flexability to upgrade but I dont think I ever will. I really dont want to hurt the subs though, so I'm not sure. It wont hurt the amp that its only 1000 watts and the SE's can handle 1200 together will it. I am leaning towards the BX1000D mostly because its in a ported box, and I know if its in ported you want to go lower then if it is in a sealed.

(With clipping on topic, my friends subs start making popping noises if he turns it up to loud. Is that clipping or something else?)
Could be clipping. Sometimes clipping can be hard to hear. If you turn your speakers up and you are using a amp that's rms is below the speaker rms with the gain turned up you are getting clipping.

Originally posted by Miller ya, its a tough decision. It would be nice to have the flexability to upgrade but I dont think I ever will. I really dont want to hurt the subs though, so I'm not sure. It wont hurt the amp that its only 1000 watts and the SE's can handle 1200 together will it. I am leaning towards the BX1000D mostly because its in a ported box, and I know if its in ported you want to go lower then if it is in a sealed.

you are not going to hurt them with that amount of power...trust me

i used about the 1st version of the SE's availble in my car for quite some time with ALOT of power on them....~1500w per sub, and they were fine...eventually ripped a spider after about a year of hard use

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.