To Tame Rattles and Buzzes

I am simply looking for the techniques folks use to tame rattles. I am looking to cruise through my car and get rid of em all if I can. I am starting by taking off the door panels and taking care of any buzzes that those generate as the panel is multi piece.

What kind of materials do you use to take care of the odd rattle? Glues? Foam wedges? Just looking for your best suggestions for a "Rattlekiller Toolkit".

I have Dynamat for the actual doors and chassis parts that may rattle. So whatever else comes to mind. Cheers!

Stephen

Last edited by a moderator:
Closed cell foam. Open cell foam if it will not be exposed to moisture. Silicone gasket maker. Rattles are caused by two hard surfaces bumping and jarring against each other, so you need to decouple them with something softer that won't get smashed paper thin over time.

The dreaded rattle... I found these things that are for moulding heavy fiber glass parts they hook up to a 3/8 air hose of a air compressor and they vibrate like crazy .. I would clamp these down to various parts of the car to get an idea of where the rattle was coming from than usually 2-3 coats of the spray on deadener and 1 to 2 layers of 80 mil will kill damm near any rattle.

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Also what kind of car cuz there are some vehicles out there that just rattle. ie f body camaro's

The dreaded rattle... I found these things that are for moulding heavy fiber glass parts they hook up to a 3/8 air hose of a air compressor and they vibrate like crazy .. I would clamp these down to various parts of the car to get an idea of where the rattle was coming from than usually 2-3 coats of the spray on deadener and 1 to 2 layers of 80 mil will kill damm near any rattle. 

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Also what kind of car cuz there are some vehicles out there that just rattle. ie f body camaro's
Spray-On Deadener??? Do tell...do tell. What is this...I will go google. Sounds good though. This is a Nissan Sentra...I definitely could be dealing with worse. It is pretty quiet to begin with...looks like most are coming from the doors and the rear deck which I can disassemble and deaden.

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Closed cell foam. Open cell foam if it will not be exposed to moisture. Silicone gasket maker. Rattles are caused by two hard surfaces bumping and jarring against each other, so you need to decouple them with something softer that won't get smashed paper thin over time.
Ahh yes...a tube of silicone!! Good good...I'll get some of that at Home Depot on the way home. Good one!

An suggestions on the thickness\size of closed cell foam pieces, mounting recommendations? Examples of people who have applied this? Thanks!!!

An suggestions on the thickness\size of closed cell foam pieces, mounting recommendations? Examples of people who have applied this? Thanks!!!
Welcome to Sound Deadener Showdown | Sound Deadener Showdown CCF is what I've used. 1/8th thick, very resistant to compression

keep_hope_alive is another outstanding reference. I've adapted methods from both KHA and Don Sambrook of sounddeadenershowdown.com with great success.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/easy-way-electronics/582552-sound-deadening-articles-ways-treat-doors-more.html

These are my articles.

Welcome to Sound Deadener Showdown | Sound Deadener Showdown CCF is what I've used. 1/8th thick, very resistant to compressionkeep_hope_alive is another outstanding reference. I've adapted methods from both KHA and Don Sambrook of sounddeadenershowdown.com with great success.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/easy-way-electronics/582552-sound-deadening-articles-ways-treat-doors-more.html

These are my articles.
Very cool articles and info. I think I will get some of those cells for sure!

Closed cell foam in the 1/4" variant will work best. Its soft enough it can be compressed into tighter spaces. You will also need spray on adhesive.

Just a quick tip that not many people here know. If you have a Walmart near you you can go to the camping section. They have blue mats that are about 2 1/2' wide and 8-9' long to fit under sleeping bags while camping. They are made of closed cell foam and are about $5 a roll.

Closed cell foam in the 1/4" variant will work best. Its soft enough it can be compressed into tighter spaces. You will also need spray on adhesive.
Just a quick tip that not many people here know. If you have a Walmart near you you can go to the camping section. They have blue mats that are about 2 1/2' wide and 8-9' long to fit under sleeping bags while camping. They are made of closed cell foam and are about $5 a roll.

Ahh yes...excellent. I also found MLV and heat barrier from Home Depot that 'Keep_Hope_Alive' mentioned in another post. All great stuff....I'll get some CLD tiles too. I am going to take my time and do this part right...take the car in phases, I will have to set aside a whole day just for removing the interior and laying the 'barrier' down. Sounds like a great improvement though.

I found that after I adjusted the system flat....it really helped to take a good full range CD at lower volume and just push each freq on the EQ up until I could definitely hear the sound it was making.....then drawing all the way back down...and then applying 1 db increments until that freq blended well with some reference in the tune. I made about two passes on the EQ this way and I got sound that translated well across multiple sources...it helps to play a lot of material to get fine tuned. Slowly learning how much of what to do where. This is a lot more involved than I ever got before. It seems it simply takes time with one of these setups with lots of successes and some not so great. I force myself to start from the beginning so I really get the hang of it. By the time I have the interior treated I want to know what is what with my system.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Elvenking

Elvenking
San Diego
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Elvenking