Tinting myself

Buy a load of tint and practice with the info we've given you, also theres a tint forum you can find out more from, forgot the name of it though, best way to learn is to get out and do it yourself //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

lol @ that tutorial.....

Yea tintdudes a good forum, but if your really set on learning, go watch em tint a few cars at a tint shop, and then buy about $300 worth of tint, and then maybe youll be decent.

IMOx27834 leave it to tha pros.

Yep leave it to the pros. I mean granted we all learned some how, but tinting is a lot harder than it looks. I say if you want to waste some time one day, get some and give it a try. I wouldnt buy the expensive ****, cause can almost guarentee it will not come out right the first few times.

I say save some cheese and get it professional done. Like the one dood said, lifetime warranty, good film and sweet tint job.

ya leave it to the pro's...man i tried putting my 2nd layer of 5 on my explorer, and i wasted 50 bux in tint(good Llumar tint too) and i only got the back 2 side cargo windows done, and they look **** good too. no bubbles. but i cant get the back hatch one, or the roll down windows...(wasted the rest of the tint trying)

but if u need someone thatll tint the windshield, let me know, i got a guy on Waters and Rome thatll put on anything u want on any window :wink: notice what he put on my windshield for me....and both my front and back windshields are one piece. and no bubbles.

Well if you want it to look like **** then go ahead and do it yourself. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Go to a professional tinter.......a possible Lifetime Warranty, quality film, and a great looking tint job. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Soon as I read this I had to quote it, maybe he wants to learn. Well how the fu*k do you start off? By watching someone. Eh no. Doing it yourself.

Who knows he may enjoy f*ckin up and trying again and accualy getting it.

Alright, I wasnt going to read through this whole post and sorry I repeat someone. Here's what Ive learned when tinting.

1. Obviously make sure you have good tint, very sharp blade, squeegy, and some soapy water in a spray thing like a windex container type thing.

2. Its alot easier if you have atleast 1 person helping, a whole lot easier when you have 2 people helping you too.

Now, take the tinting and spray water on the outside of the window and stick the tinting on there (but dont take the adhesive part of the tint off yet) and cut it along the window, and make sure to give yourself some slack to work with. Also make sure you have the adhesive side facing away from the window when you are cutting it to shape.

Next make sure the inside part of the window is VERY VERY Clean. Then seperate the actual sticky part of the tine and clear protectant apart and drench it with the soapy water (also drench your window with the water too!!), this makes it easier to align the tint and get the bubbles out.

Now when you have the tint against the window, squeegy really good until it looks as good as you can get it, then take your exacto knife and cut the slack off around the window (most windows have the already black strip or paint (whatever) around it, so thats a good place to hide where you cut your tint). Now squeegy EXTREMELY good.

Do this with all the windows and set the car outside for about 1 hour and let the tint sunbake one. If you have little bubbles, letting it sunbake helps get rid of some of the little bubbles.

Also, for your windshield strip, you can either buy a roll of 4 inch strips and do that process with it, or you can take the factory cut side of the tint and cut around the top part of the windshield and stick it on that way. Again make sure when you are fitting it on the outside of the car, make sure you have the adhesive side facing away from the car, that way when you stick it on the inside, it goes on right. And, make sure you have the factory cut part of the tint on the bottom, because that way you have a straight line when you stick it on, and when you get it on and trim the slack of the tint, there are plenty of places to hide your cut, I wouldnt recommend trying to cut the exact shape of the clear part of the window, because you may have a steady hand, but when cutting tint anything can happen.

Hope this helps, and again sorry if I repeated what someone said, but this post was too long to read all the way through it. I just wrote this down because this is what my friend who is a professional tinter did on my car, and he let me help him (cheaper that way!! lol) And good luck

So I was in the process of putting the tint strip on my windshiled, I got the tint cut PERFECT! Went inside to apply it and tore my rear view mirrow off with my elbow, took out glass with the adhesive and cracked my whole fvcking windshield..... another reason to let someone else do it haha

I know I posted a long post, but if you do try it by YOURSELF it will be hard and will more than likely turn out like crap. But believe me, if you have somebody help you, its so easy. Just try getting a friend who know even a little bit about what they are doing and it shouldnt be that hard. Spending 40 dollars is alot better than spend a couple hundred to have it done professionally...

I know I posted a long post, but if you do try it by YOURSELF it will be hard and will more than likely turn out like crap. But believe me, if you have somebody help you, its so easy. Just try getting a friend who know even a little bit about what they are doing and it shouldnt be that hard. Spending 40 dollars is alot better than spend a couple hundred to have it done professionally...

your post is a basis for me to attempt to do it with a friend or 2 first, and i appriciate that

laters..

If i would have had the money to leave it to the pros to tint my windows, i would have... but if youre like me and have a dark car with dark interior and an a/c thats on its last few ounces of r-12 and little money to spare, you CAN do it yourself. Im not saying my tint job looks spectacular... hell for the most part you can tell it was amateur. As long as you take your time to take off the interior panels and trim your tint properly, its not so bad. Of course that IS if youre working in a garage or someplace out of the wind. When i did my front windows, i would lay the tint on the outside with water and got bubbles out and started to trim. Not so bad. Then i had to take the clear protective layer off the back... that ****** cuz my windows on the doors are incredibly long... like 38 inches if i remember correctly. and whenever i would pull it off, the wind would pick up, causing it to adhere to itself and i tried to put it on and squeeze the bubbles out as best i could, and the ****ed creases wouldnt budge, so that piece was trash... now keep in mind my windows are slightly less than half a standard roll of film. Now as far as applying the film, i found in my experience that its easiest to do it with 2 friends... you sit inside the car with your rubber squeege (sp!?) wile one friend slowly pulls the backing off, and the other constantly speays your soapy water soulution to both the window and the back of the tint... this makes it much easier to manuver than just spraying the window alone... be sure to take off as many interior panels and your door panels when you do this, so you can tuck the tint under those panels... this is especially important on the door windows, so that when you roll the windows down the panel doesnt catch it.. on the rear window and any large curved window, ive found that its best to cut the tint as you need, then cut it in half across the window... smaller pieces are easier to work with. I used that technique on my rear hatch, and the pieces i cut in half are perfect, but the last piece which we left whole didnt turn out so well... but its not bad. The hardest part, which isnt really hard at all, is making the seams line up. The only advice i can give you there is to wait a little bit before trying to apply the next piece against that seam, you run the risk of pulling the existing tint as you work bubbles out of the new tint.

Now im no expert here and i know ill probably get a few flames, but thats cool. Its all about learning. I know not all my techniques are right, but thats how i did it, and im satisfied. As long as its not a show car, if youre satisfied with the tint, good job, you saved some cash.

It all depends on how "professional" you want it to look, I personally am a perfectionist so I would go through 200 bucks worth of tint doing it myself, but after what I've tinted so far I've gotten some experience in and gotten better, just keep workin at it and you'll find better and easier ways of gittin er done

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

iamamp3pimp

5,000+ posts
Bass Heads Entertainment
iamamp3pimp
Tampa FL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date