Time for an Upgrade

Participant count
  • Participant list

rocknevious
10+ year member

Hey, I've been running a 12" Alpine Type R with about 600W to it for a couple of years, and I think it's about time to go bigger and better.

My musical tastes are generally rock centered, but every now and then I get in a hip-hop mood. SQ is pretty important, but I want a noticeable increase over the Type R in terms of volume. I'm thinking a nice looking custom sealed box and either a 12 or 15" sub with about 1000W.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not audio expert, so I'm turning to you guys for some recommendations. I'm looking to spend around $500 for sub and amp combined. Suggest away!

Thanks!

What do you think about two 10"? 10" have an inherent capability to have a lower Fe which makes them a good choice for rock and the occasional hip hop bug.

I'm not opposed to the idea, but I'm looking to get some decent quality stuff and I don't know if two 10s and an amp would fit in my budget. I could be wrong though, and I'm certainly open to suggestions.

I ran that same type of setup myself. I was never dissapointed with the type R, when I upgraded, I went with a Boston G-5, you can also get a passive radiator with a duel box. You won't have to buy a amp either. The sound quality is just fantastic. Mighty beefy too! I have been very happy with the setup.

I'm just thinking I want more output than I'm getting out of the Type R and as good or better SQ. I'd also like to do something a little different, away from the mainstream. A single 12" or 15" would be in my price range I think, but I don't know about getting dual 10" subs that will give me a similar output to the 12/15 without going over budget.

just a standard sealed box that my dad and I built. I'm fairly confident the box volume is too big and its affecting the performance of the sub. I'd be having a new box built for this one, for functional and cosmetic reasons.

I hate to be the jerk newbie bumping the topic, but I'm still looking for more suggestions. The only thing I've really looked into so far is a Fi Q 15, but I don't have any experience with those, so I don't know if the output would outdo the R (though I'd think it would with double the power) but I know the SQ would be up. Any other suggestions or critiques?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.