Thoughts on shallow mount subs in ported or 4th order enclosure.

Participant count
  • Participants list

tng83

CarAudio.com Newbie
I work in the car business and occasionally come across trade ins with speakers the customer doesn't want so I get to keep em and use em. I just sold the last set of Skar 10s I had been using in an enclosure I built and today was given a set of RF R2 12s and I already have a Rockford Prime 500 amp that will work perfect for them. I'm not intrested in building a sealed enclosure. Id rather not use them at all. Anyone ever have or see shallow mount subs in a ported enclosure or in a 4th order? What do you think?

I’ve done shallows in sealed and ported enclosures, but never in a 4th order. The reason for using a shallow mount sub in the first place is normally because space is an issue, and a 4th order box is usually not the ideal enclosure choice for small spaces.

I’ve done shallows in sealed and ported enclosures, but never in a 4th order. The reason for using a shallow mount sub in the first place is normally because space is an issue, and a 4th order box is usually not the ideal enclosure choice for small spaces.

Yea i just wonder if 1.5 sealed and 2.5ish ported would bring em to life. Just messign around with em til I sell the package and replace it with whatever else I wind up with but Ive never worked with shallows and have never seen anyone go bandpass with em.

Yea i just wonder if 1.5 sealed and 2.5ish ported would bring em to life. Just messign around with em til I sell the package and replace it with whatever else I wind up with but Ive never worked with shallows and have never seen anyone go bandpass with em.
Buck just designed a box a few weeks back for another guy on here for a JL shallow mount. I’ve seen it done, but never have myself.

If the sub doesn't recommend ported, you're taking a little bit of a gamble putting it in a ported section, even though it's still in a sealed section as well.

I know there are some shallows that will work ported, some shallows even work IB. It just depends on the sub itself. I did do a 4th order sealed-tapered t-line for a pair of shallow mounts that turned out very well. T-lines do not have the pressure inside of them that a ported box does, so that might worked with the sub I had a problem with in ported, we just didn't have the room to do that type of box.

The only good use for a shallow mount sub is for a midbass in your door, and that's my take.

If the sub doesn't recommend ported, you're taking a little bit of a gamble putting it in a ported section, even though it's still in a sealed section as well.

I know there are some shallows that will work ported, some shallows even work IB. It just depends on the sub itself. I did do a 4th order sealed-tapered t-line for a pair of shallow mounts that turned out very well. T-lines do not have the pressure inside of them that a ported box does, so that might worked with the sub I had a problem with in ported, we just didn't have the room to do that type of box.

The only good use for a shallow mount sub is for a midbass in your door, and that's my take.

RF does suggest ported as well as sealed. I just don't know if I wanna waste my time if 2 RF R2 12s wont be 'more' than 2 little Skar 200w 10s.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.