This stuff any good, worth the money?

deadner.jpg

And kilmat and noice are the same product just a different name on it made by the same company, they have 3 or 4 they have rebranded. Plus they were asphalt based product as well up till the last couple years unless they finally switched the stuff they use in them.

Resonix has been the best for a very long time, made here in the US, owned by a Car Audio & DIYMA member Skiezer who does installs that are worth tens of thousands of dollars sometimes. Nice guy as well to deal with.

Nice thing about that group is he does testing of every product. We all know Resonix is the best and it is more expensive but the Harmony Audio, NVX, STP, Stinger and Second Skin are not as expensive and all do a good job. I have Second Skin now in my Explorer and love it. Next one I use will be Resonix when well should say IF I ever get around to buying my 442. If i were to do another SUV then I would look at the ones from 2-6 again and cost.

Last edited:
It does say it's butyl. That's the type you want, but numbers are good, and worth checking out at the least.
Yes, it states it is butyl. Take it with a grain of salt but the amazon reviews are pretty good.

So when applying this stuff, is it absolutely necessary to cover every square inch of a surface? Such as the floor of the trunk? Or maybe the trunk lid?

They've claimed butyl before and people have proven that stuff was asphalt based. Maybe they've changed but that stuff is junk and better stuff out there for the money. I've had Noico/Kilmat in my hands as my neighbor bought and can smell the asphalt in it. IIRC even the people in that group who have used it and some testing showed asphalt in it. Numbers of Kilmat/Noico compared to the rest are not as good because the product is not as good. Amazon reviews are not what you want to believe when it comes to sound deadner look at the group The Deadening that is where that picture comes from. The person who does that testing spends his own money on equipment, time and the cost of the deadner and knows what he is doing.

Last edited:
I'm leaning more to a brand called Siless. They have the mat at 120mil vs 80mil and as far as I can tell there is no asphalt in it. There are many on amazon that claim the kilmat stinks like asphalt. Plus I saw in the description it's made in Russia.

I've used both the Siles and the NVX. This was prior to learning more about the Resonix. If you're in the "something is better than nothing crowd" then my choice would be the NVX. If I do another build, probably going to use the Res. On a budget, NVX. Some have mentioned that they are worried about the thermal aspect, I've only used both on the interior and to date, no issues anywhere inside the car. It does get warm here in ID, not like AZ, TX or NM, but warm enough to melt hot glue in the dash in the summer! On a personal note, I also care where my dollar goes and choose not to support any products out of RU, at this time. Bad enough that CH gets a lot, but... another story for another day maybe.

YEAH I didn't want to get political with this post but the siless from what I have need researching is the best value and I can get 120 mil which is a big win for value in my opinion. But I don't really care about making the car super quiet. It's an old beat up camry with 200k+ miles. The sound system will be 10x the value of the car. But again, I don't care. The car is paid for and I can work on it as funds allow.

I don't judge or hold it against anyone that feels differently, but when asked, not opposed to state my opinoin. I am the master of my pocketbook only (and a $hitty one at that). The 120Ml Siles is decent enough. The one brand to stay away from unequivocally (that I have personal experience with), is the Weize, total crap!

I did a beater with the siles,80 and 120, (80 on some of the plastic or areas where the 120 was just a little too much. One thing I do is put the oven on warm, stick several sheets in the oven (and replaced each as I pulled them) get it real plyable before applying it, helped a lot! Also had a blow dryer (or heat gun on low) on site where applying it, made everything go on very easy! The doors are a must, but I look at it like it's the Franks' Red Sauce of damping, I put that $hit on everything (except the steering wheel!)

Last edited:
Absolutely not!!! Acetone eats everything it touches other than metal that is.. there is a reason it comes in metal containers with metal caps. Denatured alcohol is what I use. Since the primary grime you're looking to remove is greasy dirt, denatured alcohol is great for that purpose.

;)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...