Thinking of upgrades

Participant count
  • Participant list
Alright guys. So I have a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon hatchback. Right now I'm running a hifonics 2400 amp and an hdc3-18 subwoofer in a little more than 6 cubes ported at like 35 hz. Stock 110 alternator, big battery, volts hang out around 14 when it's beating. Now let me tell you, this 18 POUNDS in this little hatchback car. I mean I realize I should have a HO alternator and a bigger box and lalalala, but anyways. It slams, loudest system I've heard in my 18 years. Yes I'm only 18 years old. Now the question at hand is the 18" isn't always the best sounding to me. It beats low rap songs up and down the block but sometimes the song wants faster bass and the 18 sounds kinda off. plus I literally have no trunk anymore. And the huge sub and mdf box are seriously weighing down my car. I take it out and I can feel the car get faster. So there's not really any way to fit more box in that trunk but my options I'm considering is buying a 15, Increasing my electrical, Building a box out of birch, or I'm open to ideas. Basically, I don't want to lose any volume overall, but I'd like to lose weight and a quicker cleaner bass would be great. I'm kind of on a budget so what would you all recommend? I didn't get a HO because I might sell this car and buy a caddy, (another reason to buy a 15, the 18 wont fit in a caddy) I've looked at fi q, american bass hd's etc. Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any replies.

6 cubes is fine for that sub, you didn't mention how much port area though. Tuned a little higher and/or proper amp/EQ settings and that sub will keep up with any type of music, size of the sub makes no diff.

Single HDC4 15 or 2 12's is what I'd do but you'll need more power and electrical to support it.

Yeah I kinda got the 18 in the first place because it moves more air with less juice, I don't remember what it's tuned to but I think it's got two flared 6 inch pvc pipes about 15 inches long. It's been awhile since I looked at it. If I tuned it higher will I lose a lot of low end power?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.