Thinking of changing to Sundown E8

Morals
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Missouri
I have a 2000 ford focus zx3 and im thinking of running 4 E8s. Were i live no one runs sundown so i have never heard them irl. I will be running between 1200-1500 to them. Right now im running the 3 jl 12s in there prefab box, with about 600 watts. Do the 8s get pretty low and loud.

I listen to all types of music, except country. Some pop, mostly rap and metal. i need them to sound good with manson and tool along with the rap. Can the E8s handle this type of job.

Please use no larger than suggested enclosure for optimum results. The E8s actually work quite well sealed -- the SA-8s were optimized for ported (will work sealed but not optimized).

The SA-8s will be shipping soon (end of February)... and I'm working on an E8 v.2 for later in the year for those folks that really do need a more shallow driver.

As for power... I suggest sticking to the rating on the E8 v.1s -- they will perform well for a while on more power but eventually you will tear them up mechanically as the suspension stiffness was designed for 200 watts RMS (more power can and will eventually stretch the spider and break the leads over time).

If you really must run 300-400+ per driver I suggest the SA-8s -- and port them.

Why the E8's? Why not look into getting the new SA-8's. Jacob pulled over 140db with a single SA-8 tuned to fairly low 37hz. That's pretty loud while staying quite musical. The video that was posted up showed that little monster moving some serious air and sounding pretty darn good too. NOTHING wrong with the E8's, just thought it might be worth the wait, time, and trouble to go with the new SA-8's. Just my .02

They reason i was going with the E8s was a guy i know on one of my gaming forums was pulling his and going with 2 DD 9508s. He offered to sell them to me for 190 +shipping. I have had the JLs for like 5 years now and starting to sound pretty ratty. I have seen the vid of the SA8 but have not looked into much about them.

What kinda price?

Power?

box size?

any good posts about them, and yes i am search lazy.

The reason i was going to up the power is im giving my son my PG ZX950, and was thinking about getting a SD 1200 or 1500. I guess if it comes down to it i could pull my extra LP 2.2HV out of the closet. I really didnt want to do that though, this is my daily and didnt want to put the extra miles on the LP.

9508's? must be some dd audio special. The 1508's i believe are going to be louder than e8's, but for the price you cant beat e8's. I have one in a transmission line in my room and it sounds quite good does get low for an 8, but every 8 I've tried gets around the same low notes. I'm sure 4 ported will be loud in a car. Maybe your 3 JL's in a better box would also be loud. I woulnd not run 8's where you have room to run something bigger. I run and have tried 8's because thats all that will fit in my truck.

An 8 can get loud but has to be pushed, where as if you had a 10 or 12 in its position, cone area would take over a bit.

I have been thinking about running 8s in my truck as well... I am a hard rock and metal guy how do these and the 1508s do for this type of music as far as quality goes? Or are they any good for sound quality at all?? Also been wondering how i can squeeze a pair into a 02 extended cab f150.

Im pretty sure there is no hope for the jl 12s. they are the low end budget jls plus i have played the **** out of them for 5 or 6 years.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.