Thinking about trying a home sub in the trunk

Fishx65
10+ year member

Michigan
I've got a 12" 4ohm Boston XB6 home sub that has a blown amp. Thinking about pulling the amp, sealing it up with a hunk of MDF and using it in place of my sealed 10 incher. The XB6 is a bass reflex enclosure with a front facing port so I'm thinking it might do a pretty good job in a trunk firing through the back seat. Watcha think??

11 years on here I have seen a lot of ghetto **** but that would still be a first 😑

Something tells me I wouldn't be the first to use a home sub in the trunk of a vehicle.:) It's actually a better looking enclosure then my single 10. I'm sure durability will eventually be a problem but I was gonna just throw it in the dumpster anyway. Maybe my new SVS will get a shot at car audio someday!!!:)

Attachments

• 20210131_090605.jpg
    20210131_090605.jpg
    796.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 20210131_090617.jpg
    20210131_090617.jpg
    1,005.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 20210131_090631.jpg
    20210131_090631.jpg
    753.7 KB · Views: 135
If you’re just gonna throw it away then go ahead and experiment with it. Nobody will see it in the trunk anyway. Let us know how it sounds.

Finally got around to trying it. The ported Boston sub is a piece of junk. Sounded horrible with all kinds of port noise. My sealed single 10 sounds a gazillion times better. I'm sure my results may have been different with a nice SVS:) Was an interesting experiment and reminded me why I've always liked the sound of well designed sealed enclosures.

yeah those sealed enclosures are a nightmare to design yourself!!! LOL

You'd be surprised at how many people who do 4th order walls seem to not understand sealed. Sealed is harder in some bandpasses than you might think. But I agree with your sentiment :p

Hmm if you have any specs on the sub I could design you something. Sometimes home audio subs play lows better than highs, at least relative to car audio and music.

You'd be surprised at how many people who do 4th order walls seem to not understand sealed. Sealed is harder in some bandpasses than you might think. But I agree with your sentiment :p

Hmm if you have any specs on the sub I could design you something. Sometimes home audio subs play lows better than highs, at least relative to car audio and music.

Thanks but I pulled the driver and it was very low quality so it took a dive in the dumpster too. Boston is not what they used to be in the late 80's early 90's. I used to run their separates back in the day.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.