10" Dayton Audio HO clean but not enough thump

KarimB

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a 2017 Camry with a 10" Dayton Audio HO in a ported box tuned to 35HZ at 1.5cft (It's ugly but my first build). It sounds great but I miss the chest thump I've had in previous systems. I have a 5 way amp that pushes 600 watts at 2 ohms. I listen to Rap and R&B. I was thinking a 12" JL w3 but I know there has to be better options for $300 or a similar performance for less. I don't need it to pound all day, but I would like to feel it when I turn it up. I can go up to 1.85 cubes and keep trunk space for my work stuff. Last system I had was 2 10's MTX 5500s, they beat but were sloppy and took up to much of my trunk.

Attachments

• IMG_20200603_121249.jpg
    IMG_20200603_121249.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 160
I have a 2017 Camry with a 10" Dayton Audio HO in a ported box tuned to 35HZ at 1.5cft (It's ugly but my first build). It sounds great but I miss the chest thump I've had in previous systems. I have a 5 way amp that pushes 600 watts at 2 ohms. I listen to Rap and R&B. I was thinking a 12" JL w3 but I know there has to be better options for $300 or a similar performance for less. I don't need it to pound all day, but I would like to feel it when I turn it up. I can go up to 1.85 cubes and keep trunk space for my work stuff. Last system I had was 2 10's MTX 5500s, they beat but were sloppy and took up to much of my trunk.

Don't use the sub channel on the 5 channel amp and get a mono amp. The box might be a little tight for a 12", but you could always get the 10" version. Make sure that you buy a dual 2 ohm voice coil sub and wire it to one ohm.

Screenshot_20210314-004032_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210314-004124_Chrome.jpg

Have you tried moving that box around in the trunk? Try to slide it all the way to the rear and fire the sub up and see what that does. Trunk cars are tough to get loud to begin with, you're limited on power and power handling, AND your priority is maintaining trunk space so really I'd say you've got a long row to hoe trying to get big output gains if you're not prepared to sacrifice space and/or a good bit of money. Google "Hoffman's Iron Law".

IMO easiest cheapest way to gain for you would be to buy a second Dayton and build a box for two if you decide you can give up the extra space. Also even if you plan to move the box when you have cargo, sub box all the way to the back will be optimum almost all the time in the trunk of a sedan; you do not want to block off the whole soft area where the sound waves can come up front and you generally do not want subs positioned not next to a wall or corner to avoid standing waves/cancellation.

Agreed with hispls but if you must get a new sub, look at the SSA GCON. I was very impressed with my brother in laws 12 off of a 600 watt Infinity amp.

These Dayton subs really like lower port tuning. 1.5 cubes at 30 hz is a good sounding enclosure for these. If space wasn’t an issue, I’d even go as low as 28 hz if possible. You’re tuned too high for that sub in my opinion. One of the best sounding sub stages I’ve ever heard was 2 of these Dayton subs in 3 cubes tuned to 30hz. It wasn’t the loudest system ever in terms of spl numbers, but it sure did sound good, and for a music daily driver, it was plenty loud.

Doesn’t the Dayton HO like small enclosures? I thought they liked to be in .7 for ported applications?
Mine pair is in ~1.9@32hz
I too read where .7@30hz was the go-to. I had Buck mode my pair and 1.9@32 is what he came up with. Mine is in a single cab, subs foward, port behind drivers seat firing to side wall. I can’t lie, they are clean as h3ll, and can get loud when I want them to. I do feel as if there’s just something missing. Maybe I’m just never satisfied !

Doesn’t the Dayton HO like small enclosures? I thought they liked to be in .7 for ported applications?
I would do mine in one close to that small, but it’s subjective. I am a heavy metal/hard rock/classic rock/blues listener. Sometimes I listen to rap. These subs can do well all the way down to .7 cubes ported. That is true. On the modeling software, I was getting a good response in anything from .75 up to 1.5. Low port tuning. The larger box had a low end hump that lots of rap listeners like, and since that’s all this guy listened to, I built it around that.I would like to do them in 1 cube each at 28 hz and hear the difference in the real world in my vehicle. I’m playing with the Dayton 8s now in my Jeep, and I will move into their 10s probably this summer. Really enjoying the 8 though.

I would put the enclosure about 1 foot away from the back just enough to remove the subwoofer without having to unbolt the enclosure. For a 600 W amp I would do a 400 W sub good to have a little extra or account for box rise. I would get a sub with higher power handling that is meant to get loud and a more powerful amp if you can

If your running it off the 5th channel of the amp then that's the problem.
The sub is only 4ohms so your 600 watts at 2ohms is really only 300-350 watts at 4 ohms.
You should really be running the sub off its own amp
or change them both
If your going to change just the amp look for something that puts out 600-1000 watts at 4ohms
If your going to change just the sub (cheapest way but not the best) get something with 2 4ohm voice coils @ 600 watts
If your going to do both all of the equipment that Bobbytwonames recommended will work.
Remember RMS is what your looking at not peak.
Don't feel bad about the box, you should have seen my first attempt.
I didn't take any pics because I just wanted to pretend it never happened.

Have you tried moving that box around in the trunk? Try to slide it all the way to the rear and fire the sub up and see what that does. Trunk cars are tough to get loud to begin with, you're limited on power and power handling, AND your priority is maintaining trunk space so really I'd say you've got a long row to hoe trying to get big output gains if you're not prepared to sacrifice space and/or a good bit of money. Google "Hoffman's Iron Law".

IMO easiest cheapest way to gain for you would be to buy a second Dayton and build a box for two if you decide you can give up the extra space. Also even if you plan to move the box when you have cargo, sub box all the way to the back will be optimum almost all the time in the trunk of a sedan; you do not want to block off the whole soft area where the sound waves can come up front and you generally do not want subs positioned not next to a wall or corner to avoid standing waves/cancellation.
Thanks for ideas. I have tried facing forward to the seats and really couldn't tell the difference. But I'll try facing it up. But really I think I need more cone area, so that's why I was thinking a 12, but 2 tens could also work, I would just need to buy another sub and amp.

These Dayton subs really like lower port tuning. 1.5 cubes at 30 hz is a good sounding enclosure for these. If space wasn’t an issue, I’d even go as low as 28 hz if possible. You’re tuned too high for that sub in my opinion. One of the best sounding sub stages I’ve ever heard was 2 of these Dayton subs in 3 cubes tuned to 30hz. It wasn’t the loudest system ever in terms of spl numbers, but it sure did sound good, and for a music daily driver, it was plenty loud.
I believe it, my 1 sub sounds great, it's more of the chest thump I miss. Will tuning it down create that? I thought you usually get the most in the 40-60hz range?

If your running it off the 5th channel of the amp then that's the problem.
The sub is only 4ohms so your 600 watts at 2ohms is really only 300-350 watts at 4 ohms.
You should really be running the sub off its own amp
or change them both
If your going to change just the amp look for something that puts out 600-1000 watts at 4ohms
If your going to change just the sub (cheapest way but not the best) get something with 2 4ohm voice coils @ 600 watts
If your going to do both all of the equipment that Bobbytwonames recommended will work.
Remember RMS is what your looking at not peak.
Don't feel bad about the box, you should have seen my first attempt.
I didn't take any pics because I just wanted to pretend it never happened.

Thanks for they reply but my sub is dual 4 ohm voice coil and I'm running it at 2ohms like you suggested so it's actually getting 600 watts.
https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-RSS265HO-44-10-Reference-HO-DVC-Subwoofer-295-463

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.