Thinking about Going to Two 8s

Participant count
  • Participant list

diesel_kid
10+ year member

Diesel Lover
Hi there,

Well I am bottomed out for money, so I have to be very creative as to what I get for my system right now. I was going to get just one 12, or one 10. But I have been looking lately at getting two 8s. The reason for this is that I know that with 8s they will have it alot easier to keep up with double kick drums and such, and they can get reasonably loud. Also they don't take that much power to move them. I will be powering them both with an underated 200W (probably closer to 300W) at 2ohm. Space is not at factor at all as There is plenty of mounting depth under my seats in my truck and I planned on making something close to the Stealth box which replaces the cushion. I have been looking at the RE 8s, Tang Band 8s, Crystal CMP8s and the like. I want to stay very cheap if possible. I was wondering with two of any of those speakers, getting 150wrms each, would they pound for that once in a while I turn on the rap/hip-hop music and want to show a couple buddies what two 8s will do? If they hit as hard as two JL 10W0s which are getting about 100W a peice that is fine with me as my buddy has that setup and it hits plenty hard for me, just the SQ is no where near what I would like. If they don't extend to the low low notes thats okay as the lowest notes I will have will be coming from drums or a bass guitar, and once in a while Rap/Hip-Hop. ANyways Im talking too much, what do you guys think about the two 8s?

Thanks

-Jared

The better the install, the less dependency on how big the speakers are. I'd say two 8s would work fine. In a few weeks a group buy on Tang Band woofers is coming up, and I hear their 8s will go around $40 + shipping. It's a great opportunity if money's a big issue. You'll never get a JL10W0 for that price.

The Tang Bands are nice little subs. 2 of them should be fine. I have one in my car right now that is being fed 150W in a slot ported enclosure .5^3 ft tuned to ~35Hz. I was very suprised at how low and loud it gets. I have a new box designed for 4 of these that is tuned a little lower, it should be a fun little project.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.