They sold him coaxials...

Participant count
  • Participants list

ThxOne
Premium Member

The Boss
So my sisters boyfriend bought a single amp and two sets of speakers. He had components up front by DD and they were decent speakers. The shop he went to sold him a JL RD400/4 amp and JL C2-650x Coaxials as well as the C2-690tx coaxials. Why would they sell him coaxials???? By the way, the cost was $500 for all of it. He installed it himself. He stopped by today so I could set the gains, which I did. They sound good but I expected more. He is still rockin my old JBL 12's and his little 8601-D is beating them up pretty good.

Sounds to me he clearly noticed they were not components and installed them anyways instead of taking them back sooooo.
He knew... they "recommended" the coaxials. I think for the price, they had better speakers there. In fact, I know they do as I have browsed the store myself. Ehh, to each their own. He now wants to replace the Pioneer 8601 with a JL amp. He did say he still loves the JBL's I sold him so I am happy. He's happy.... everyone is happy.

Well,as long as he is happy with what he has,that is what matters most.Ive ran Slash series and JX series JL amps, have to say that they were really great amps.Not sure how well the newer amps are, but the ones I ran were pretty reliable amps, Deff a step up from Pioneer.

Well,as long as he is happy with what he has,that is what matters most.Ive ran Slash series and JX series JL amps, have to say that they were really great amps.Not sure how well the newer amps are, but the ones I ran were pretty reliable amps, Deff a step up from Pioneer.
When I set the gains on the RD400/4 I used my RF Setup Disc 1kHz 0db signal and the volume on his Pioneer maxed out at 40. The amp showed the signal clipped so I backed the gains off till the lights went off. The gains are literally just a red c**t hair up. When the clip lights turned off you could hear a very noticeable and audible drop in volume from the speakers. I had him set his Eq from there and showed him the time alignment. His eyes got big when we turned the TA on. lol... I said, measure the speaker distances and adjust the head unit and tweak the eq... it's only going to sound better. The amp was barely warm by the way.

When I set the gains on the RD400/4 I used my RF Setup Disc 1kHz 0db signal and the volume on his Pioneer maxed out at 40. The amp showed the signal clipped so I backed the gains off till the lights went off. The gains are literally just a red c**t hair up. When the clip lights turned off you could hear a very noticeable and audible drop in volume from the speakers. I had him set his Eq from there and showed him the time alignment. His eyes got big when we turned the TA on. lol... I said, measure the speaker distances and adjust the head unit and tweak the eq... it's only going to sound better. The amp was barely warm by the way.
You should throw that setup disc away because no music is recorded in 0 db. You just literally throw countless amounts of output into the trash setting the gains like that.

If you have audacity, monitor some of the music he plays, figure out his highest db reading in his recordings and through the software you can generate a test tone of that certain frequency and recording level and set gains through that instead which will be a lot more accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ThxOne

Premium Member
The Boss
ThxOne
The United States of America
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date