The XXX subwoofer SPL myth...

toaster
10+ year member

Installer, since 1984
it is strange, all of the people with very little to no experience with this driver that say it is not a good spl driver.

everyone that remembers the Brahma Extreme, the SPL driver Scottie used in the van, knows it is the same driver as the XXX, with a Brahma dust cap. this has also been verified by me, holding each side by side, and im sure Scottie would confirm it, as well.

anyway, onto my point:

direct swap out, from 2 SX 15s, dual 2 ohm coils driven by an Orion 2500D @ .5 ohm, to 2 XXX 15s, dual 2 ohm coils, same amp, same coil config, in a 13 cube enclosure, 140 square inches port area, tuned to 40hz = Gained 1.4 DBs @ 50HZ.

this is in my lil ford ranger.

working on making a video, maybe done tommorrow.

may not be the best SPL driver, but it holds its own, nicely:)

well, ive got a feeler for sale on them, to see if i can move them quick after recone. if i do, i will move to MTs for pure SPL. however, if they dont move quick, i will keep them and do another 2500D, which is what i would do on the MTs as well.

@50hz right now, im burping 151.5, on the dash, in a box tuned low enough for DD. i figure with enough work, 155 is possible with another 2500D, maybe higher if i go ahead and go to pure SPL tuning with the box (higher). depends on what i see @ the triple pointer coming up;)

how do you get 13 cubes in a ranger? did you cut out the passenger seat? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif
VERY carefully:)

It's a blow thru (see vid or pic in my sig).

well, ive got a feeler for sale on them, to see if i can move them quick after recone. if i do, i will move to MTs for pure SPL. however, if they dont move quick, i will keep them and do another 2500D, which is what i would do on the MTs as well.
@50hz right now, im burping 151.5, on the dash, in a box tuned low enough for DD. i figure with enough work, 155 is possible with another 2500D, maybe higher if i go ahead and go to pure SPL tuning with the box (higher). depends on what i see @ the triple pointer coming up;)

god@mn dude that box in your truck is CRAAYZZEEE.

Nice setup //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

the brahma is hardly the same driver as the XXX, they both use XBL^2, thats all i know, the extreme had a few mods done to it to make it take more power and what not

the brahma is hardly the same driver as the XXX, they both use XBL^2, thats all i know, the extreme had a few mods done to it to make it take more power and what not
i said brahma EXTREME, bro.

there were very few made, but they are the SAME driver as the XXX...

it was their "extreme SPL driver."

call and ask them, or ask someone who has owned one, like scottie.

i know the regular brahma is not the same driver:)

Roll Tide!

yeah, the brahma extremes were custom built drivers, if I remember correctly they couldn't even measure the BL using conventional methods.

god@mn dude that box in your truck is CRAAYZZEEE.
Nice setup //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif
hey, thanks man! not finished yet, but its coming along, nicely.

ive been too busy building enclosures for people around here to devote 100 percent of my free time to it:(

i said brahma EXTREME, bro.
there were very few made, but they are the SAME driver as the XXX...

it was their "extreme SPL driver."

call and ask them, or ask someone who has owned one, like scottie.

i know the regular brahma is not the same driver:)

Roll Tide!
i dont know much about them, but i dont see how they could be the same driver

yeah, the brahma extremes were custom built drivers, if I remember correctly they couldn't even measure the BL using conventional methods.
yep, ive reconed 2 extremes, once with the brahma kit, once with a XXX kit. parts are identical, motors, baskets, everything.

the only difference is the brahma kit came with stiff plastic spiders.

here's a pic of the brahma extreme:

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130722&highlight=brahma+extreme

im sure everyone knows what a XXX looks like (just like the pics in that thread).

soft parts are the same, with stiff spiders:)