The official Alpine W505 thread

I had the IV-w505 installed yesterday in my Miata along with the PAC TR-7. I have been reading the book that is the typical Alpine manual and I can see that the PAC TR-7 is a must have for this unit.

The IPOD functionality is worth the money that the unit cost. It is intuitive and wroks well with my IPOD.

ON BACKGROUNDS:

How do you download new backgrounds?

What formats can you use for a background if you want to make your own?

Are their any backgrounds available online?

You can only have 2 different backgrounds, but you can put as many as you want on a disc. Just can't download more than 2 to the headunit.

I'm having an issue uploading the background tothe W505.

How long does the unit take to read the CD ROM?

An aside . . . . when I attempted to upload the first time, it changed a setting somewhere and my display now blacks out after 30 seconds.

Any advice?

Thought it better to resurrect an old thread that applies to my question than create a new one; I tried a search but didn't find any similar questions so I apologize if I'm duplicating.

I installed the W505 in my 2006 Impala (non Bose, non-OnStar). My previous GPS unit (Pioneer AVIC-N3) worked fine with my Scosche GM21SR, (their version of the GMOS-LAN-01), which extended the parking brake and speed sensor to the head unit install, eliminating the need to run these cables to the parking brake sensor and speed sensor wire. With the W505 this isn't working.

I plan on buying the Pac TR-7 for the video bypass, so my questions are:

1. Do I even need the GM21SR with the Pac TR-7?

2. With the Pac TR-7 do I still need to connect to the vehicle's parking brake and speed sensor wires?

Thanks in advance!

Jack

To get the head unit to function properly, the answer to both of your questions is no. Not being familiar with the first part you mentioned, I don't know if you need it for something on your vehicle to function properly. Anyway, the W505 and TR7 together should do everything you want that head unit to do.

JLUV,

I think you're right, the guy on eBay I bought the TR-7 from said this:

"That gm21sr is not going to work on the alpine. The pioneers need 2 pulses on one brake wire where the alpine need multiple pulses on 2 brake wires..."

The GM21SR is Scosche's version of the GMOS-LAN-01 (which is I believe Metra's part number). This device allows installers to bypass having to hook up the parking brake and speed sensor wire as the connections are routed through this part. These units are usually needed in late model cars that use OnStar or are wired for OnStar.

Thanks for your feedback!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.