The Big 3? Quickie Forum Noob question

Participant count
  • Participant list

Databyter
10+ year member

San Diego
EDIT: Don't waste your Time Go here if your interested as I was ---> http://www.caraudio.com/forum/wiring-electrical-installation-help/152355-official-caraudio-com-big-3-thread.html

Ive been sort of studying on my own before I discovered this forum a while back to learn as much as I can in this interesting hobby.

Just from absorbing information and lingo on the board I know that the big 3 refers to the need for power upgrades needed in a more robust audio system.

I know that 1 of the 3 is a high output alternator. (Ding, what do I win!) (This is wrong)

Number two is an aux Battery (or batteries as it may be) Also wrong

Number 3, hmm, does this refer to wiring upgrades necesary for the first two? (I'm getting closer)

Or, does it refer to (1) Alt, (2) Batt., (3) the other Batt.? (Strike 3)

Also, at what level of system power is the big 3 NOT needed.

I'm guessing that anything over say 1 KW needs the big three depending onlistening habits of course.

In my case I just purchased a new Alt (stock 70 amp) because my other one just happened to go out (pre system upgrade) I'm working on building a system that is gonna have 700-850 RMS potential but willmost likely not be played that loud.

Because I want to play music with the car off I'm opting for I guess the big 2? A Spare Batt in the back, but no HO Alt.

Thanks in advance for clarifying what the (3) is.

EDIT: My assumption was totally wrong, so if you too are a lingo noob keep reading and don't use my ignorance above to re-inforce your own. And check following link out -----> ( I should have done a forum search before I assumed the above.) ---> http://www.caraudio.com/forum/wiring-electrical-installation-help/152355-official-caraudio-com-big-3-thread.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I just found a stickie about the Big 3 in the Installation Help section, so I'm about to read that.

Still would appreciate any hello's or replies here if you can add to the questions.

Ive been sort of studying on my own before I discovered this forum a while back to learn as much as I can in this interesting hobby.
Just from absorbing information and lingo on the board I know that the big 3 refers to the need for power upgrades needed in a more robust audio system.

I know that 1 of the 3 is a high output alternator. (Ding, what do I win!)

Number two is an aux Battery (or batteries as it may be)

Number 3, hmm, does this refer to wiring upgrades necesary for the first two?

Or, does it refer to (1) Alt, (2) Batt., (3) the other Batt.?

Also, at what level of system power is the big 3 NOT needed.

I'm guessing that anything over say 1 KW needs the big three depending onlistening habits of course.

In my case I just purchased a new Alt (stock 70 amp) because my other one just happened to go out (pre system upgrade) I'm working on building a system that is gonna have 700-850 RMS potential but willmost likely not be played that loud.

Because I want to play music with the car off I'm opting for I guess the big 2? A Spare Batt in the back, but no HO Alt.

Thanks in advance for clarifying what the (3) is.

you fail, that is not what big 2 refers too.

Your explaination is completely wrong. The big 3 is the wiring ugrades in your engine bay. 1 is battery ground 2 is alternator to battery postive and 3 is engine block to ground. Basically your stock wiring is only 8 gauge at best and this allows for more current flow through your system.

1) Alternator Positive to Battery Positive (optional fuse)

2) Battery Negative to Chassis

3) Chassis to Engine Block

Yikes, I'm glad I clarified this, I was planning to upgrade the Batt Ground because I noticed it's tiny, but I wasn't considering the other two, untill now.

I assumed what it was because in the threads I saw it refered to the Alt and Batt's were also being replaced.

Thanks guys.

And I'm definitely going to do this!

I'm hoping this thread dissapears quickly!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.