The Amp Lab

Participant count
  • Participant list

Clifff150
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Texas
I have been checking out their site lately. I’ve heard good things about their repairs and it seems they really care. I know at times they’ve run like a 25% promotion. Do they negotiate at all on their refurb units? I’m not a lowballer at all but just wondering if they negotiate at all.

I was just up there today, we had a small local gathering for some metering and music.

Good guys, not sure how much wiggle room they have and I suspect a lot of whether they'll move or not depends on the product. For example if they get a pallet load of Sundown SAE1500s they'll probably be more willing to move on them than something that's more scarce or that has more interest. Or if it's something they've been sitting on for a while they may be more eager to drop the price. 25% might be expecting a bit much on a lot of stuff there considering the margins I've seen on some stuff I know what they have into.

Doesn't hurt to ask, but those guys are crazy busy and apart from walking in, I'm not sure the best way to contact.

I can say they stand behind their work. They couldn't figure out how to get a huge Korean amp I left them working and they ate an 800$ plus repair making good with me. So they stress test everything going out and do stand behind the 90 day warranty they offer on refurbs and trade-ins.

Anyway 9/10 would recommend to a friend. For really exotic repairs I'd use Stephen Mantz (or Sound West for JBL/Crown), otherwise Amplab guys certainly know their way around any of the stuff they deal with and are authorized repair center for.

I was just up there today, we had a small local gathering for some metering and music.

Good guys, not sure how much wiggle room they have and I suspect a lot of whether they'll move or not depends on the product. For example if they get a pallet load of Sundown SAE1500s they'll probably be more willing to move on them than something that's more scarce or that has more interest. Or if it's something they've been sitting on for a while they may be more eager to drop the price. 25% might be expecting a bit much on a lot of stuff there considering the margins I've seen on some stuff I know what they have into.

Doesn't hurt to ask, but those guys are crazy busy and apart from walking in, I'm not sure the best way to contact.

I can say they stand behind their work. They couldn't figure out how to get a huge Korean amp I left them working and they ate an 800$ plus repair making good with me. So they stress test everything going out and do stand behind the 90 day warranty they offer on refurbs and trade-ins.

Anyway 9/10 would recommend to a friend. For really exotic repairs I'd use Stephen Mantz (or Sound West for JBL/Crown), otherwise Amplab guys certainly know their way around any of the stuff they deal with and are authorized repair center for.
So you would recommend them?
I have a DD S4 that the front channels stopped working on and I'm not ready to give up on it yet but I'm hesitant to just ship it off to someone to fix it.
My wife says I have trust issues :rolleyes:

So you would recommend them?
I have a DD S4 that the front channels stopped working on and I'm not ready to give up on it yet but I'm hesitant to just ship it off to someone to fix it.
My wife says I have trust issues :rolleyes:
Amp lab is fine for any of those standard far east designs. IF they have the time to do it. Amp Medics down in Tampa area is also solid and Steve is a good guy who has been at it a long time, and of course Stephen Mantz at Zed Audio is one of the top engineers in the industry, has been in the business since the early 80s, he and his wife Joyce are really sweet people. If I had something fancy/exotic/unusual I'd send it out to Zed.

Otherwise, all those guys are solid and I've met them all personally, go with whoever is closest for cheapest shipping or whoever has the best turnaround time I'd say. Not sure if DB-R is still operating out of Texas, I've used him in the past and he used to be well respected in the industry but I haven't heard anyone mention them in a while, perhaps someone else can chime in who has used them in the past few years.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the info. Most everything I read is very positive. I’m not saying what they have isn’t a good price just wondering if I should even try to negotiate.

DB-r shut its doors. They were somewhat local to me.

I've heard mixed reviews on amp medics tbh but I bought a refurbished saz3500d from amp lab and they are legit I actually just emailed them today looking to get a Korean 4ch repaired if it's cost effective

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.